howa rifles how good?

scirroco

hi guys
we have an importer for howa rifles in the uk,
how good are these rifles?
thanks in advance
scirroco

Fox Firearms imports the howas into the UK. Brian is a nice guy to deal with. The Howas are a **** good buy. i'd class them better than a remmy 700 or win 70 out of the box. have a host of features that would be considered custom on a remmy 700,
I build a range of custom rifles on the Howa (or weaherby vanguard, same same action) starting at a grand. the factory standard howas are about half that.
trigger is reminiscent of a timney. remington scope bases fit. a very nice budget rifle, thats as good as rifles costing a fair bit more.
Pete

thanks guys and pete!!!!!!!!
the howa rifles are not for myself but for 2 friends in france, 2 barrelled actions are on the way pete the calibres are 243 does that equate to remington short action? i only shoot sakos and pete i only use schmidt-bender scopes!!!!!!!
thanks everybody
regards steve

What are the Laws on gun ownership in the UK? Can't keep them at home right? So you keep them at some club,is that true?What about in France? Do your friends in France hate us yanks? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Iron Worker,
We are allowed to keep our rifles at home as long as they are locked in an "approved" gun cabinet.
This cabinet will be inspected by the police prior to the granting of a Firearms Certificate, which every shooter in the UK must have in order to aquire firearms.
Although the cabinet is not required by law, it is what the police prefer.

As for the french, they hate everyone when it suits them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but what i admire about them
most, is that they look after themselves, regardless of what the rest world thinks, unlike the spineless UK government who shamelessly cower to the opinions of the rest of the world, rather its own citizens.

Ian

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Steve,
You arse licker! anymore of that and Pete will be giving cut price deals (or is that what you are really after) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

No seriously only joking, as you may have already read there is a ongoing "trashing" of all sopes that are not S&B and when we can we try to get our own back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I dont know if you take Target Sports magazine, but recently there has been a series on building a tactical rifle based on a Howa Stainless barrelled/action, it turned out very nice,

Ian.

PS. where abouts are you?

I am extremely pleased with my 7mm Rem Mag and .243 Win Howas. The bores appear to have a finer finish than other over the counter rifles. Yes, as previously noted, the trigger needs a little work. The 7mm is a Vanguard and came with a factory target with 1 1/8" group. At the range I got 5/8" using factory ammo. The .243 Varmint model shot clover leafs out of the box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What are the Laws on gun ownership in the UK? Can't keep them at home right? So you keep them at some club,is that true?What about in France? Do your friends in France hate us yanks? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
IRON WORKER
I SHALL ASK THE FRENCH IF THEY HATE YOU I AM SHOOTING THERE NEXT WEEK!!! I SHALL RUN A POLL IN TWO REGIONS OF FRANCE!!
CENTRE PUNCH IVE ALWAYS USED SAKOS AND SCHMITTS SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!! I SHOOT FULL TIME EVEN MY 22LR WEARS 3-12X50 SCHMIDT.
I CAN SEE MYSELF BUYING A HOWA TO TRY THEM
REGARDS STEVE

Could anybody measure between the two attachment screws on the howa action? And the remington..

Im trying to find out if the new Badger detachable magazine will fit the Howa. If they are the same length, you could use AI mags with your howa.

Ive not got an action here at the mo. so i can't measure it. but i have fitted some sako 75 magazine systems to several rifles. its not nesseseraly the action screw hole distance thats the problem in mating up bottom metals to actions, its the triggerpossition and feed possition of the mag. screw holes are easy to locate, triggers and mags aint.
yep the hows are a nice bit of kit for the money, i rate em above remchester thats a fact. They tend to have tighter head space, and a better barrel than a remmy. tell you what though, when you put a custom barrel on em after trueing up all the needed areas, a decent bedding job in a good stock, the things tunr out to be a **** nice little semi custom rifle, ive built several, and ive wanted to keep every one up to now.

The French..,yuk spit !!
Remember Agincourt !!

but i must admit the froggies don't take any [censored] from thier govt, if they don't like something they protest, blockade the ports , motorways, and just go right on doing whatever the govt just made illegal. but thats thier only good point as a nationality..
individuals i know are pretty ok blokes, i know an ex froggy para who's a good bloke.
Pete

Pete,
Yes, they slaughtered our baggage handlers, so Henry V ordered all of the captured french nobleman be put to death.
Common soldiers carried out the task, a massive insult to the french nobility.
I think the destruction of the french mediteranian fleet in port by the British Navy during WWll, is why they dont like us now.

I too know some very sound french guys whom are great company, but they cant throw a party like the Germans.

Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.