Howa 1500

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by Desert Fox, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Desert Fox

Desert Fox Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this action being discussed much here in this forum. Does anyone have used this action as a platform for their long range rig ? How strong is this action? I own one chambered for 338 Win Mag and planning to convert it to 338RUM. Any input will be appreciated.

2. sniper2

sniper2 Well-Known Member

One friend has dozens of rifles built on this action and they shoot great and are strong enough.Good luck with your project...

3. 30-06 boy

30-06 boy Well-Known Member

desert fox,the howa action is the same as a weatherby vanguard. i personaly like them.i had a 1k benchrest rifle in 300 weatherby.strong action.a friend of mine has a 1k benchrest rifle with a howa action.he shot a 6.5"-10 shot group at 1k with it.a local gunsmith uses many howa actions on his custom hunting rifles.i'm not sure if howa 1500's come as magnum length or not.another somewhat problem at least a few years ago,i dont think anyone makes an aftermarket trigger for them. jason

4. Desert Fox

Desert Fox Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply. Timney makes aftermarket trigger for Howa. The magazine is measured at 3.735 overall. It will be long enough for 338 RUM.

5. LB

LB Well-Known Member

There was a recall on 1500 bolt assemblies a couple years ago. I sent one in, they sent it back, and I was not real sure what they did to it?

Mine has an excellent (but modified) factory trigger, you shouldn't need an aftermarket.

If all Howa barrels are like mine, I'd get another before spending much time on it.

Good hunting. LB

6. Northman

Northman Well-Known Member

Great action... its almost a copy of the Sako Finnbear.

7. JWH Clark

JWH Clark Well-Known Member

The Howa action is nothing short of superb. For the money what else is there, what is as good?
    Im thinking of having a 22BR built on a SS action, Lother tube and Mcmillan A1-3, heh heh heh, run rabbit run /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Pete Lincoln

Pete Lincoln Well-Known Member

excellent piece of kit.
    ive a short action here in 243. and kaliderscope is trying to convince me to build that 22BR on it.

the howa has been the custom rifle secret for far to long, it offers far more than a remington.
    i real like the howa, and as some one mentioned, it is very similar to teh sako finbear. i heared some where that howa did actualy make some actions for sako.
    Pete

9. Northman

Northman Well-Known Member

Pete: I have heard you have done som conversions on the howa, and fitted sako magazines to it?

What would something like that cost?