Howa 1500 vs Weatherby Vanguard!

Howdie I'm new to the forum ( not to weapons) and have pretty much narrowed my next hunting rifle down to either a Vanguard or a howa 1500 yea I know they are the same action and are similarly priced but with the vanguard having a weatherby made 24" barrel and weatherby doing a couple custom tricks ( unsure if howa does the same) does anyone have special and direct knowledge of either rifle having a leg up on the other? Any input is greatly appreciated Sincerly CPL Fowler US Army

Weatherby has the 2 inch longer barrel + great customer service. I own a few Vanguards and like them very much. If you're shooting a larger caliber the extra 2 inches is nice, but for small calibers I don't think you "need" it.

Otherwise it's virtually the same rifle.

Thanks I really appreciate it! its only going to be a .270 but I still reckon the extra 2" will be nice, plus the triple fluted bolt cant hurt!!gun)

My favorite Vanguard is a 270 that was upgraded with a B&C stock and Timney trigger. Highly accurate, wonderful weight and balance. I think that you will do well.

I have not seen a new S2 yet. Given the new stock and trigger I might be tempted to leave one of those alone and see if I liked it as-is before any upgrading.

Ya the Series 2 is apealing except for the 2 stage trigger not a big fan of those but I'm willing to give it a try. My plans for it include the knoxx talon stock and was thinking bout trying that Burris Eliminator LRF scope. I've got a bad back so the recoil reducing stock is the route I wanna try( it's worked wounderduly on my 12g) just want something I can hunt a range of critters with varmint to deer and still take to the range and make longer shots with. My .308 ak doesnt have the consistent accuracy out to 5-800m that I would like.

Ya the Series 2 is apealing except for the 2 stage trigger not a big fan of those but I'm willing to give it a try. My plans for it include the knoxx talon stock and was thinking bout trying that Burris Eliminator LRF scope. I've got a bad back so the recoil reducing stock is the route I wanna try( it's worked wounderduly on my 12g) just want something I can hunt a range of critters with varmint to deer and still take to the range and make longer shots with. My .308 ak doesnt have the consistent accuracy out to 5-800m that I would like.

You many already know this but the Howa versions have a couple lines that have the recoil reducing stocks straight from the factory. You will loose some of the perks of going Weatherby, the longer barrel and fluted bolt, but it may be something you want to look at.

Howa/Axiom Heavy Barrel Varminter

Howa Talon Thumbhole

Just and FYI,

Scot E.

You many already know this but the Howa versions have a couple lines that have the recoil reducing stocks straight from the factory. You will loose some of the perks of going Weatherby, the longer barrel and fluted bolt, but it may be something you want to look at.

Howa Talon Thumbhole

Just and FYI,

Scot E.

Oh yea I am aware, But I would be gettn the weatherby plus the talon stock for about the same price . So I figured I would just do the extra work and have a nicer rifle with 2 stocks :) thanks for looking out though

UPDATE: picked up a Stainless VG S2 and it's a very accurate rifle, even with the Cheap Simmions scope. Plan on upgrading the Scope to a Hawke Night-eye 6-24x50 w/SR12 reticle. That outta be plenty to reach out and touch something.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.