How would you rate this chamber job?

By the way, I talked to my smith and he recommend me wood dowel with fine grit sandpaper to finish shoulders in that chamber, so I I made wood dowel shaped like my chamber with 30 degree shoulders, and I used 320 grit sandpaper and I think he was right its getting better! He is an old-timer and retired, but I guess he build rifles for 40 years and knows something... Still far from perfection but that's how brass looks now:

6mmnorma26.jpg

maybe few more passes and I'll get rid of them rings...

Jinx.

Just a word of warning !!!! Be careful when polishing a chamber because it leads to out of round
and out of SAMMI specs.chambers that can cause extraction and concentricity problems.

I personally "NEVER" polish chambers. the reason is that I like the reamer finish if done correctly
because it eases the thrust on the bolt by having the proper finish allowing the case to grip the
chamber but still allows extraction with heavy loads.

With a good/sharp reamer the chamber will be the truest it can be if it is done right. and even
though your chamber looked terrible and you want to improve the finish be careful.

Polishing a chamber is not necessary but some smiths like to do it for there own reason and are
very careful so it is ok as long as it is not to cover up a poor chamber.

I would not polish yours any more than you already have.

Just MY opinion.

J E CUSTOM

J E, thanx! I'm getting new barrel to replace this one and since the one I got is no better then tomato stake, I'm just going to play with it and try to improve it. But since it has dense spots (hard spots) overall vibrations throughout must be different and I think they relate to fliers, because I don't have any other explanations, since I do not see any pattern.

J E, thanx! I'm getting new barrel to replace this one and since the one I got is no better then tomato stake, I'm just going to play with it and try to improve it. But since it has dense spots (hard spots) overall vibrations throughout must be different and I think they relate to fliers, because I don't have any other explanations, since I do not see any pattern.

You are very welcome.

I just didn't want you to create any more problems for yourself.

Good luck.

J E CUSTOM

Ugh!

I wouldn't let a rifle out of the shop with a chamber like that.

The ring on the neck is a real issue in my book. The rings on the shoulder just shows extremely poor workmanship and no attention to the details.

this is not a ring, I did little experiment with it, on new brass I turned necks then fired few shots then I turned necks again, here what neck print looks like:

6mmnorma30.jpg

not good at all... Yeah, my Forster neck turner also non concentric just another problem to deal with... Why in the world it cuts right on the neck from one side and on shoulder on the other, however it could be my chamber heck shoulder junction which is non concentric...

Last edited:
The fire formed brass is telling the truth about the chamber shape and dimensions. It could have happened during your polishing treatment but I dont think so. It is suspicously starting to look like the O.P. used a hand drill motor to rechamber your rifle. The chamber is definately running at an angle to the bore. This also happens fairly often on new factory barrels, as well as off centering. I dont know which came first the chicken or the egg? At this point I would have to say you've exhausted remedy! Throw that barrel in a recycling bin as well as all the brass that was formed in it. I am seriously concerned that the over all uneveness of the cartridges ability to seal off the gases as evident by the powder residue indicates that catastrophic failure is in that barrels near future. I don't know how many people have had the experience of escaping gases being shot into their faces, but I have and I feel I was very lucky to have only ruined a cheap pair of safety glasses.

Is there any chance this barrel can be re-chambered say for 6.5 mm something if its done right?

Is there any chance this barrel can be re-chambered say for 6.5 mm something if its done right?

I beleive you already indicated the barrel is 6mm???

yes its factory 6mm Norma BR, which was cut off-center with bad reamer marks on the body, it was very hard to cycle fired brass. I have different thread about it Hard to cycle bolt on Savage target action.

As such, you can send it back to your smith and have him clean it up a little.

Or, you can have it rechambered to a slightly larger 6mm cartridge such as .243 Winchester, or 6x47 Lapua. ...although, I haven't checked all of the dimensions to verify that those would be fine.

Or, you will need a new barrel if you want a 6.5mm anything.

If you decide to rebarrel it, let me know and I'd like to buy the barrel. (I can't risk much since it's probably only good for a "tomato stake" as one of the other posters said.) But, I bought a lathe not too long ago and I'd like to practice cutting threads and such on it.

-- richard

I'm going to kick that dead horse for the last time.... After I removed that barrel and I finished 12 pack, I finally nailed cause them rings-spirals on the neck... Here it is:

6mmnorma34.jpg

Also I think rings on the shoulders almost eliminated and chamber don't look that bad for the exception of the neck region, I think I polished all them out , by the way I have like 20 tomato plants in my back yard and I'm seriously running out of stakes ;-)

6mmnorma35.jpg

Boss, blacksmith you say ;-)

6mmnorma38.jpg

6mmnorma37.jpg

Last edited:
Part of the problem is just the fact that you wanted a factory barrel set back.

Factory savage chambers that I have pulled barrels on, actually a couple 6 br barrels were extremlly out of center with very unconcentric throats.

Trying to rechamber them with the same cartrige will only work well if you cut off the entire existing chamber, or at least 75% of it.

The ring in the neck is simply the fact that your smiths reamer had a smaller neck dia. then the factory reamer.

The smiths major fault was taking the job in the first place, I would have explained the futility of trying to rechamber/set back a barrel one turn.

Blacksmiths make tomato stakes????????? I guess so......and this is a fine example of a well crafted stake. Lots of flaws for the tomato vine to get a hold of.

Sell this thing to the guy that offered to buy it, then get yourself another barrel on which to spend your money!

I'm going to kick that dead horse for the last time.... After I removed that barrel and I finished 12 pack, I finally nailed cause them rings-spirals on the neck... Here it is:

6mmnorma34.jpg

Also I think rings on the shoulders almost eliminated and chamber don't look that bad for the exception of the neck region, I think I polished all them out , by the way I have like 20 tomato plants in my back yard and I'm seriously running out of stakes ;-)

6mmnorma35.jpg

Boss, blacksmith you say ;-)

6mmnorma38.jpg

6mmnorma37.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.