How would you rate this chamber job?

Jinx-)

Here are few pictures of fired brass through my new chamber, how would rate job done on my chamber? Would professional gunsmith notice that while cutting new chamber?

6brchamber2.jpg

look at the end of the neck, I think its a print from previous chamber
6mmnorma15.jpg

this one I used candle to get soot on the brass to get better view what's going on in this chamber.
6mmnorma17.jpg

typically the shoulder area carries the most rings from the chamber reamer, mostly due to the angle of the cutting surface to the material, any imperfection in the tools surface is transfered to the shoulder. If a chip welds itself to the reamers cutting surface the rings will be more prominent.

Bore scoping during the chamber job is the time to find and correct these small issues. a light polish of the shoulder after reaming will also lessen the prominence of these rings.

Yours look quite distinct so my guess is he spun a chip or had some chip weld on the reamers cutting surface, I'm sure your smith would correct it if you brought it to his attention. One other cause is a barrel with a hard spot that cut difficult and may tear a bit. I had one barrel in 250 that did that so not real common.

That's what I was told, hard spot and reamer got chipped...
Can this be contributed to the consistent fliers I'm having?

That's what I was told, hard spot and reamer got chipped...
Can this be contributed to the consistent fliers I'm having?

The rings are not bad enough to hurt accuracy, They are only bad looking.

Rings on the shoulder will not hurt the extraction but if they are on the chamber wall
they can effect the extraction especially the hot loads.

As Coyboy said, inspecting the chamber durring the reaming process will catch this and can
be eliminated before head space is final.

This has happened to every gunsmith at one time or another and as long as it is caught
It is not a problem.

There are lots of reasons for this to happen and if you talk to the smith he should set the
chamber back enough to clean it up.

A good chamber leaves no marks on the brass, so I would rate it bad but fixable.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I guess I just have to wait for the reamer to get back, I understand PTG repairs them if they getting chipped...

Fliers I believe has to do with uneven neck tension created by something in the chamber neck area here take a look every brass fired through has exact signature at the tip of the neck, its not all away around just about 1/4 of the neck , and carbon escape also in exact spot...

6mmnorma25.jpg

Fliers I believe has to do with uneven neck tension created by something in the chamber neck area here take a look every brass fired through has exact signature at the tip of the neck, its not all away around just about 1/4 of the neck , and carbon escape also in exact spot...

6mmnorma25.jpg

Given that the it is 'just' a partial ring, my guess would be that there is a piece of debris that is stuck to the throat and the ring is being caused when the bolt rotates to extrack the case.

Last edited:
If the original chamber was not concentric to the bore a simple 'rechambering' will not be either unless the original chamber is removed with a small boring bar and there is enough barrel shank to set the barrel back before cutting another chamber. Few factory barrels have enough barrel shank to do this. All must be concentric to the bore. Other wise the the recut chamber will follow the old, out of line, chamber regardless . If, when putting the barrel in the lathe for the 'rechamber', the barrel was dialed in using the old chamber instead of the bore, nothing was gained as the 'new' chamber is as far from concentric to the bore as the original chamber was, maybe more. You might make "a silk purse from a sows ear" given enough material and the proper methods, but, it always costs extra!

If the original chamber was not concentric to the bore a simple 'rechambering' will not be either unless the original chamber is removed with a small boring bar and there is enough barrel shank to set the barrel back before cutting another chamber. Few factory barrels have enough barrel shank to do this. All must be concentric to the bore. Other wise the the recut chamber will follow the old, out of line, chamber regardless . If, when putting the barrel in the lathe for the 'rechamber', the barrel was dialed in using the old chamber instead of the bore, nothing was gained as the 'new' chamber is as far from concentric to the bore as the original chamber was, maybe more. You might make "a silk purse from a sows ear" given enough material and the proper methods, but, it always costs extra!

Do sendaro barrels have enough shank for this operation?

Well, my gunsmith went 0.500" into the old chamber, so that's how much I lost from the original, and I think that print on the neck is the original chamber, well now he is offering to put Brux barrel, which is a bit oversize 1.250", so I would have to give up barrel nut...

I guess I just order Shilen pre-fit barrel and be done with this nuisance... Its to late to send it back to Savage...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.