How To Use Google Earth To Plan A Long Range Hunt

For those who want to look at areas on your laptop while you are at camp but don't have an internet connection you might want to give this a try.... GE will cache up to 2000mb on your harddrive. Go to the tools tab on GE and select options. Once there select cache and set your disk cache to 2000mb (default is 400). Once you have done that zoom as close as you can get the the areas you are interested in while still connected the the internet. Now that imagery is saved in the cache file so when you are not connected to the internet you can still view it in the same detail.

Good luck!!

Wonderful idea, thanks.

Any way you can quantify how much imagery 2 gigs provides?

Thats a darn good question Len! One I should actually be able to answer... unfortunately I can't give you actuall numbers. BUT I can tell you that it will cache the entired Thorofare Valley just south of Yellowstone down to the smallest detail that GE has for the area OR the entire city of Kirkuk, Iraq.

Hope this helps

Also, I recommend marking the areas you really want to have cached then clear the entire cache and repeat the process one more time. That way you only burn your memory on the good stuff.

I normally "test fire" it unconnected to the internet to ensure I have proper coverage. Then IF I have exceeded my 2000mb. I save the screen shots (save image). GE will save them as a .jpg file. I then use paint to convert them to a bit map file. This will allow for better resolution when you go to zoom in.

It seems time consuming I know but when GE is the best imagry available at the time and you need it on demand without net access an extra 1/2 hour don't mean much.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.