How to properly clean a Win Model 70 at home?

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by GABR13L, Mar 11, 2008.

1. GABR13L

GABR13L Active Member

Sorry for the newb thread... but how should I clean my Mod 70 once I am at home from the range/hunt? Does a proper cleaning involve breaking down into individual parts (like pistol cleaning), or do I just clean it as a whole? My cleaning mats include:

Jag w/ patches
    Nylon brush
    Hoppes Bench Rest 9 Powder Solvent
    Hoppes Bench Rest 9 Copper Terminator
    RemOil
    Gun rags

I realize that cleaning while breaking in a barrel is different, but what about typical maintenance cleaning? If you guys could give me a brief rundown, or point me to where I could find this info, I'd really appreciate it.

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

with that list 1)I would first run one patch wet with #9 powder solvent , let sit a couple mins then make 5-6 strokes with the brush , 2)another wet patch then a dry patch , 3)one patch wet with #9 copper solvent let sit a few min then 4-5 strokes with the brush , 4)one wet patch let sit brush again , several dry patches. 5)run one wet patch with copper solvent let sit couple min then one dry patch , you will see some blue/green color that the copper comming out , repeat steps 3-5 and you will see that the copper is getting less and less.