how to make 257 weatherby brass?

cab

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible, without too many problems or trouble, to make 257 weatherby brass from either 264 win mag or 7mm rem mag brass? Has anyone done this?

Thanks for any help.....

FWIW--back when you could get 7mm wby Rem brand brass I would make my 270 wby brass out of it--it came out excellent and didn't need fireforming or anything--all shoulder dimensions perfect----THEN I tried going one more step taking down the new 270wby to 257 and couldn't do it....at least with my dies. I just wound up with crushed shoulders. I see some outlets are carrying hornady match quality brass. I've been buying the 300 wby brass at about $25/50 and it is wonderful stuff. And I see listed by the same people "hornady belted magnum brass". I wonder if this is something that could go through a die and become almost any belted caliber without alot of screwing around. It will be interesting to see the rest of the responses to your question as I know people have worked with 7mm mag brass. One last hint. I've notice that when reworking brass it's always easier to rework brand new never been fired brass over even once fired brass as the neck area definately takes on a "hardening" even with one firing.

run a NEW 7 mag piece of brass through a 264 Win mag bullet seater, then full length or neck sizer. Then run the brass through the 257 bullet seater, then sizer. I have not used a Redding competition seater in the neck down process, but the bonanza is great.

It greatly helps to put a heavy chamfer on the outside of the case mouth as an aid in necking down.

It is of great help to use the White Lee Sizing wax that runs about $3.00 per tube. I have found the Lee wax much better than Imperial Sizing wax or Spray Hornady lube. The Lee wax is a great lube for turning necks and neck turning mandrel, also.

You will end up with just a slightly shorter neck than factory brass, but that will not be a problem.

Good luck!

Here is my works every time method. The way I make it is to click, "add to cart" at Cabelas for 17.50 a box or at Midway for 18.29 a box. Never lost a brass and the head stamps match what's on my barrel. I just prime them and seat a bullet. No other prep needed.

I've done this with both 264 and 7mm rem mag brass and have had good luck, the neck will be about .080 short but you will never have to worry about trimming case's.

Here is my works every time method. The way I make it is to click, "add to cart" at Cabelas for 17.50 a box or at Midway for 18.29 a box. Never lost a brass and the head stamps match what's on my barrel. I just prime them and seat a bullet. No other prep needed.
Thats probably the best suggstion that will work.

A little powder between the pimer and seating the bullet might help in the performance department.

If not there's a current thread on removing stuck bullets - LOL

Just a thought.

Southpaw

I have used 7mm Weatherby brass from Remington. Sized first in a 270Wby die then a 257Wby die. I had no problems doing it this way. I guess the same can be done from 7mm Rem brass, but the case will not be perfect as with the 7mmwby brass.

Yes you can make 257 weatherby mag out 264 win mag it's a very little short
but will work fine when you size your brass do it 2 times it will work better :)

FWIW--back when you could get 7mm wby Rem brand brass I would make my 270 wby brass out of it--it came out excellent and didn't need fireforming or anything--all shoulder dimensions perfect----THEN I tried going one more step taking down the new 270wby to 257 and couldn't do it....at least with my dies. I just wound up with crushed shoulders. I see some outlets are carrying hornady match quality brass. I've been buying the 300 wby brass at about $25/50 and it is wonderful stuff. And I see listed by the same people "hornady belted magnum brass". I wonder if this is something that could go through a die and become almost any belted caliber without alot of screwing around. It will be interesting to see the rest of the responses to your question as I know people have worked with 7mm mag brass. One last hint. I've notice that when reworking brass it's always easier to rework brand new never been fired brass over even once fired brass as the neck area definately takes on a "hardening" even with one firing.
Where can you buy 300 Wby brass for $25.00/50???

It can be done but will have to be fire formed and you'll lose case capacity.

Attachments

• EDCA540C-30E4-4FB5-9080-AB0EEEAC4EE7.jpeg
    EDCA540C-30E4-4FB5-9080-AB0EEEAC4EE7.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 77
  • AA136187-49F5-4C64-B2B1-1249512C13F5.jpeg
    AA136187-49F5-4C64-B2B1-1249512C13F5.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 72

Recent Posts