How to hunt wolves?

bigngreen, I have a backhoe, :D but if you use solid bullets and they happen to run off then you don't have to worry about a shovel. We are getting Idahos 'extra' wolves now in Eastern Oregon and that's where the 3 S's came in.

1/2 Slam, i agree moraly with what your doing. but admitting to a crime in words on the internet on a public forum.... not to smart. But if you don't get caught, high five, i would do the same thing.

-Oliver

Not really. The problem is My time off school doesn't agree with the hunting seasons too well. I have one or two weeks off in November so there's only a few I could even apply for. Then there's the fact that i don't have anyone to hunt with. My dad goes with me so we can talk and so, but hunting isn't so much his thing... Yet... Still working on that.

Do you know if I can travel and hunt alone with a firearm? From a legal point of view? I think I'll make another thread because I don't want to hijack this one.

Maybe I was reading between the lines, but "shoot, shovel, shudup"... Ah well, your probably right..

-Oliver

You need a lot of patience and experience to hunt wolves. I suggest that beginners stay away because they'll just be frustrated.

I think it's allowed in Canada to bait wolves so that's a way to hunt them. For other areas, you can call them like how you would call 'yotes. I suggest a dying rabbit or elk call.

Hi guys,
I was out elk hunting in bow season this year in alberta canada, and had a pack show up. I seen them exit the timberline and come into the large open cutblock I was in. I immediately holed up behing a large downed stump and dropped my backpack and grabbed a couple more shells of buckshot for my defender. I then glanced over the stump to see where they were.... thinkin that they would be coming in slow like a coyote. I was very wrong the one was within 80 yards of me. Which means that in about 30 seconds that wolf moved over 600yards.... he must have seen me glance over the stump and got weary so I let a blast of buckshot go at him. But missed as 80yards was too far for my buckshot..... I will be gettin a snowmobile for this winter and taking some of them lil bastards out hahaha

That last post was brilliant!! That's the way to do it!!:) I'll copy that!!

Sad to read about the problems you have with wolves in Montana, and other states.

We experience the same thing with Moose in Norway/Sweden. City folks like to keep the wolves so we get a rich environment! Rich in wolves that is!!

The penalties for shooting a Wolf is worse than beating up your neighbour or wife - understand it if you can... Hell, if you near killed them in affect you probably wouldn't be left much worse...:(

i have been told that if you have a few dogs get there pee and put it around a kill site as this will pull them in as they will want to mark over it ,i was told that this was a good way of taking them

If you really want to get rid of wolves hunting is not going to do much. Take a Coyote live or dead with mange into a wolf denning area and let nature do the rest. That is what Delta waterfowl did here in ND under the table to get rid of fox so they would not eat duck eggs. A friend of mine pointed that out when he brought up they were running newspaper ads paying money for live fox and coyote pups in the late 80's and early 90's why else would they want the pups? Then all of a sudden ND had a bad mange outbreak and the fox population went to almost nothing. I used to see 20 to 30 fox a day average out hunting them. Now I see about 3 fox a year and I don't even bother trying to shoot one. Grizzly's should also be on the hunting list they are tough on elk calves to.

If you really want to get rid of wolves hunting is not going to do much. Take a Coyote live or dead with mange into a wolf denning area and let nature do the rest. That is what Delta waterfowl did here in ND under the table to get rid of fox so they would not eat duck eggs. A friend of mine pointed that out when he brought up they were running newspaper ads paying money for live fox and coyote pups in the late 80's and early 90's why else would they want the pups? Then all of a sudden ND had a bad mange outbreak and the fox population went to almost nothing. I used to see 20 to 30 fox a day average out hunting them. Now I see about 3 fox a year and I don't even bother trying to shoot one. Grizzly's should also be on the hunting list they are tough on elk calves to.

Mange and Parvo has already gone through the wolves, coyote and fox here. It wiped out our fox population made a minor dent in the coyotes and hardly did a thing to the wolves.
Live fox and coyotes were really good prices back then because guys from the east would pay top dollar for them to take back then run them with grey hound, no conspiracy!

Oh there is a conspiracy. I know a land owner that had been contacted many times by delta waterfowl to come and remove predators from his land since he owns some really high quality waterfowl property. They offered a free trapping service and wanted to do all kinds of nest surveys and drove unmarked pickups. Delta waterfowl also ran ads here in ND for fox and coyote pups to buy them like I said. In the early 1990's fox prices were not worth anything by that time fur prices fell out in the middle 80's so they were doing something with them besides fur trading I know that much. Then out of nowhere the mange came and it came hard and killed all the fox and magically the delta waterfowl guys disappeared even with land owners that were allowing the trapping the guys just vanished? Hmm it must have been a coincident. Anyway enough about that but mange is about the best cure for the problem of wolves.

Oh there is a conspiracy. I know a land owner that had been contacted many times by delta waterfowl to come and remove predators from his land since he owns some really high quality waterfowl property. They offered a free trapping service and wanted to do all kinds of nest surveys and drove unmarked pickups. Delta waterfowl also ran ads here in ND for fox and coyote pups to buy them like I said. In the early 1990's fox prices were not worth anything by that time fur prices fell out in the middle 80's so they were doing something with them besides fur trading I know that much. Then out of nowhere the mange came and it came hard and killed all the fox and magically the delta waterfowl guys disappeared even with land owners that were allowing the trapping the guys just vanished? Hmm it must have been a coincident. Anyway enough about that but mange is about the best cure for the problem of wolves.

I was getting 85 for fox and 100 for coyotes live during that time and fur was about a 1/4 that price, getting pups is more profitable for various reasons. The mange went through the whole west, trust me everything got hit hard!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.