How to hit paper

Zukman

My smith says don't use boresite n the barrel any suggestions ? I put a stick pin n the wall looked down the barrel then dialed the scope to that point ! Hoping to hit paper @ 25yds

I use a golf ball at 25 yards. Look down the barrel and adjust your reticle. Its that easy, I promise. That will put you on paper for sure. Shoot at 25 see where ist at and the track the shot. You do this by putting the gun in a shooting sled, fire the shot, re-adjust the reticle back to the bullseye then use turrets to move the reticle over to the bullet hole. that will get you on bulleyes at 25 then shoot at 100 yards and track the shot again. Now your ready. Just be sure not to move rifle when adjusting turrets.

Set your rifle up on your front rest and rear bag. Pull the bolt, look down the bore at a 2" dot at 100 yards (I use the orange stick on dots on a white background since they show up real well) Make sure you keep your eye centered on the bore and the dot centered, adjust the scope....... shoot. Step two, put your crosshairs back on the target, hold the rifle steady and adjust the scope to center the crosshairs on the bullet hole. The next shot will be dead on or very close.

Using this method I can generally get my first shot to within 6 or 8 inches or less. The second shot will either be dead on or may require another 1/4 or 1/2 moa tweek.

If you will follow this formula and be careful about getting your rifle locked down in a rest / sandbags you should have no problem getting a rifle sighted with 3 to 5 shots. There is really no reason to waste time and ammo messing around at 25 yards to get on paper then moving back......

I took the bolt out n center the stick pin looking thru the barrel n adjust crosshairs to the stick pin !

You should be able to get on paper by removing the bolt and just looking through the barrel at the target. When the target is centered, put your scope on target as well.

PS

The Aluminum insert lasers that cabelas sells will not damage your bore or crown.

Neither will the chamber insert lasers that look like a snap cap.

I usually sight down the bore as described. When I do use a bore sighter I make sure I grease the rod that goes in the end of the barrel and use caution to not pressure the crown. I use a collimator occasionally to quick check some scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.