How to figure how many clicks

sylvester31

I shoot a tika t3 7mm remington with a leupold 3.5 x10 x 50 and I would like to make a drop chart to use out to 500 yards.I reload using sierra gameking 160 gr.spitzer boat tail with 50.9 gr of IMR 4064,according to the sierra manual the bullet is traveling at 2800 fps.I also have the infinity software when I enter my info the ballistics shows(with a 150 yard zero) at 150 yards the bullet drops 5.36 inchs and the bullet path 1/4 MOA is 0.0 and at 200 yards it drops 9.77 inches and the bullet path is -4.1 but when I shoot it hits almost identical at 150 are 200.Rich at sierra explained to that -4,1 was the amount of clicks to adjust.Can anyone explain to how this works.I would like to figure out at 400 yards with a 150 yard zero how many clicks will I have to turn to hold dead on.Thanks in advance

. . . . . . I also have the infinity software when I enter my info the ballistics shows(with a 150 yard zero) at 150 yards the bullet drops 5.36 inchs and the bullet path 1/4 MOA is 0.0 and at 200 yards it drops 9.77 inches and the bullet path is -4.1 but when I shoot it hits almost identical at 150 are 200.

IMHO:

If you zero at 150, forget how much the bullets "drops" at that range -- You're already zeroed there and it's "dead on" . . . correct? This becomes the "0" reference - no need to make this part hard to deal with.

FWIW, mixed use of "drop" and "bullet path", then going to "clicks" is creating unnecessary confusion for you. The only reason I would even mention "inches" below is to help visualize this, and once you do, I would also stop mixing those in . . .

Rich at sierra explained to that -4,1 was the amount of clicks to adjust.Can anyone explain to how this works.

Something doesn't seem to be right here - drop seems odd for the example, "clicks" don't match . . .

The example: The difference between 150 and 200 is 9.77-5.36 and would be 4.41". At 200 yards, 4.41" is equal to 2.1 MOA, and if you have 1/4 MOA clicks, you definitely aren't going to use 4.1 clicks . . . Nothing makes sense to me, with the ballistics themselves or the explanation. . .

I would like to figure out at 400 yards with a 150 yard zero how many clicks will I have to turn to hold dead on.Thanks in advance

OK then that's the goal, so let's just start over right here, forget what we didn't understand and keep it clean from here on out. . .

For simplicity, I use, and would recommend, running your charts in "dual MOA" mode . . . if we really think we need "clicks", they'll be easy to get later, but they are VERY hard to "think in" now. . . .

So:

Running a 160 GK at 2,800 fps, with an assumed scope-over-bore height of 1.75", zeroed dead-nuts at 150, and running the charts at sea level and standard metro conditions, my version of Infinity says this:

150 = "0" = dead on = bullet lands behind the crosshair.

200 = 2.04" low = 0.98 MOA = 4 each 1/4 MOA clicks in the "Up" direction

250 = 5.57" low = 2.13 MOA = 9 each 1/4 MOA clicks, also "Up"

300 = 10.69" low = 3.4 MOA = 14 each 1/4 MAO clicks "Up"

350 = 17.54" low = 4.79 MOA = 19 each 1/4 MOA clicks "Up"

400 = 26.26" low = 6.27 MOA = 25 each 1/4 MOA clicks "Up"

Then, the direct answer to your question is that, with a good 150 yard zero,
you need 25 clicks "Up" to be back on at 400 . . .

MOA values must be divided by .25 and rounded to give "Clicks". As one can see, by the time you get to 400, your number of clicks is getting hard to keep track of, and I would recommend using the graduations on your turret, which I assume are in MOA and divided with 1/4 MOA hash marks to make these adjustments . . .

I would recommend getting to a range and shooting this data, both to prove it out and for your own understanding.

Is this what you are asking, or am I confused?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.