How to build switch-barrel savage?

As far as two of your questions go;

1) It takes me about twenty minutes or so to switch barrels using the conventional barrel nut tools and go/no go gauges...Keep track of your scope settings for each caliber and the sight in will probably be only one confirmation shot (depending on your mounts).

If your smith sets you up with a "nutless" system you probably can shave another 5 minutes or so off the switch time....

2) If your barrel switch requires two different bolt heads my advice is to have two separate bolts....I have one for my small rifles barrels (.221, .223) and another for my 25-06, 30-06 and .260 barrels....

Switching bolt heads only will take more time, (especially if you have to adjust the firing pin protrusion)...If I were you I would pay approximately $75 more (over the cost of just a bolt head) for a complete bolt rather than switching the heads each time....Midway has them for about $100 wait till they have their promotional sale towards the end of each month and save another 10%...

These Savage switches become addictive but it sure is fun...

Good luck,
Randy
Tell me how you feed the 223 from a 25-06 magizine

It's pretty easy. I just built a 223 repeater on a 7RM action.

Just fix the 223 magazine into the magwell. I used a small ball of epoxy stick.

The only hard part was finding a long action 223 bolt head.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.