How to build a reloading bench your wife won't mind having in the house

Jonthomps, fine looking setup! Gives me some ideas too.

I once proposed to use a very heavily built pine coffee table in the living room (it had a 2" thick top) as a reloading bench. That was a great idea too. She vetoed it when she found out that I was going to drill (2) 7/16" holes in it for the press, and use some c-clamps for the priming tool and powder measure. Closest I ever came to moving my reloading into the house.

Something like you and your dad built would probably be acceptable to her though. However, it's way too neat. I'd have to scramble it and get it satisfactorily cluttered. (Then close the doors).

Thanks for taking the time to post and for the pics.

Beautiful neighbors. Tom

Awesome! That's a great set-up for the house. Seriously, he should offer that as a product. Rough price?

I took over the garage for my shop. That space is too valuable to park cars in.

Awesome! That's a great set-up for the house. Seriously, he should offer that as a product. Rough price?

...maybe in Ventura. It don't snow there. It does here so a garage is a nice thing to have for the car....

I just incorporated my loading stuff in my machine shop, in the corner but I still prime and seat bullets in the kitchen with the powder measure and press clamped to my wife's granite countertop on her island. I'm not exerting much force seating bullets and I made it so there is a 2x4 on top and bottom. She's not overjoyed but I haven't been evicted yet....

Jonthomps, fine looking setup! Gives me some ideas too.

I once proposed to use a very heavily built pine coffee table in the living room (it had a 2" thick top) as a reloading bench. That was a great idea too. She vetoed it when she found out that I was going to drill (2) 7/16" holes in it for the press, and use some c-clamps for the priming tool and powder measure. Closest I ever came to moving my reloading into the house.

Something like you and your dad built would probably be acceptable to her though. However, it's way too neat. I'd have to scramble it and get it satisfactorily cluttered. (Then close the doors).

Thanks for taking the time to post and for the pics.

Beautiful neighbors. Tom

Hi Tom,

I had originally planned to use 2" butcher block as the top, but after pricing it I decided to double-up on the 5/8 MDF. Glad I did, it's way cheaper and doesn't budge! Also, the formica top doesn't absorb anything (cleaning solvent, gun oil, etc). We used a stud finder and anchored it to the wall via 3 4x4's so it's not going anywhere.

I DO need more stuff, right!?! And the beauty of the whole system is that you can quit a project right in the middle of the process (like working brass), close the doors, and . . . presto! Everything looks great.

Hi bruce_ventura,

Price is in the $1500 range for everything you see, give or take $100. Cabparts phone number is: 1.888.398.1802. Ask for Stuart Thompson. It's completely customizable (overall size, wood species for doors, interior/exterior cabinet box colors, number/size of drawers, etc). I'm sure shipping would depend on where you lived. The project finishes looking like any other kitchen cabinetry.

Dimensions of mine is: W:7ft H:7ft D:28in. It looks like it is on casters (wheels) but each individual cabinet is actually mounted on four European leveling legs. They are awesome - each leg is infinitely adjustable for slight variations in the floor. Mine is mounted on carpet so this worked especially well.

I use one bedroom 12x24, its full of reloading, guns, bow hunting gear, fishing poles, fly tying desk and equipment, ice fishing gear. I ran out off room! So I looked at my wife of 45 years said maybe I should start in another bedroom. She gave me one of those looks and said put the extra in the RV shop. I looked at her and said there is no room. The 2 fourwheelers, the boat, the 2 ice houses, extra fishing poles, the electric ice auger, the float tubs,and all the other important add-ons are in there, Plus you made me put your Christmas decorations in there! But I could see I was not getting to far, so I am into the garage now with the extras and future buys! I feel sorry for you young guys with one little closet. Joe

I use one bedroom 12x24, its full of reloading, guns, bow hunting gear, fishing poles, fly tying desk and equipment, ice fishing gear. I ran out off room! So I looked at my wife of 45 years said maybe I should start in another bedroom. She gave me one of those looks and said put the extra in the RV shop. I looked at her and said there is no room. The 2 fourwheelers, the boat, the 2 ice houses, extra fishing poles, the electric ice auger, the float tubs,and all the other important add-ons are in there, Plus you made me put your Christmas decorations in there! But I could see I was not getting to far, so I am into the garage now with the extras and future buys! I feel sorry for you young guys with one little closet. Joe

LOL, Can you just feel the modesty radiating from this post.

Ya'll don't have it so bad. I couldn't even get permission to use a coffee table! Yeah, I know, but I've been married for 54 yrs and learned quickly who the boss was. It wasn't me.

The house is hers, the garage is mine (mostly).

It works. Tom

Ya'll don't have it so bad. I couldn't even get permission to use a coffee table! Yeah, I know, but I've been married for 54 yrs and learned quickly who the boss was. It wasn't me.

The house is hers, the garage is mine (mostly).

It works. Tom

YA I know what you mean, when I was first married I told my wife I was the head of the house and she said yes, but I am the neck that turns the head! Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.