How to build a 338 Norma

According to the article on the .338 Norma Magnum on this site, the cartridge was designed to work in a Remington 700 Long Action.

Mr. Sloan, (Texan Ballistic Guru) designed the 338 Norma loosely based on the 416 Rigby case and it is specifically designed to shoot the 300 grain Sierra Match King in a Remington 700 Long Action; without deep seating the bullet.
Link to the article: 338 Norma Review

Now if there is a problem with this, I would like to know as I was kicking the idea of a Norma Magnum around fairly seriously. All I could find on the cartridge points to the Remington 700 Long Action being a viable option...

Food for though, anyway.

Awesome article. Thank you. If it would work in a remmy long action I would think that it would work in a savage long action to right?
Darrin

No problem with the .338 Norma magnum in a Remington 700 action.
Remington has the Police model in .338Lapua, it has the bolt face opened up and I think they fit a Sako type extractor also.

You could do the same with your donor rifle or just sell it and buy a Remington 700 Police in .338Lapua to get the good Lapua brass.

I shoot a .338 Edge and find that if you sort Remington brass and chuck out the odd bad one, the rest are good enough for me.

With the .338Edge you can easy get 2750 to 2800 fps with 300gn SMK and mild loads. The Remington brass will then last a lot longer.

There are a lot of options for you to choose from.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.