How Tight ?

700man

How tight should you get your action screws, for maximum accuracy? (Inch Pounds of torque)

Depends on rifle, Pillars, stock type. No pillars factory synthetic stock rem 700 40 inch/lbs on both. Pillars or bedding block some go clear up to 65, I usually go 45 inch/lbs on both on a 700 for best accuracy even with pillars or bedding block

Thanks for the thread from JE Custom.
I did not know if changing the torque would improve accuracy, or if it would make any difference. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

I tried 65 lbs on a couple rifles during load dev and they all shot like crap. tried the same loads at 35 lbs and every one was under 1" with several .25". This was on both rem and sav rifles with pilars and or bedding blocks. I now torque at 35 on all rifles.

I tried 65 lbs on a couple rifles during load dev and they all shot like crap. tried the same loads at 35 lbs and every one was under 1" with several .25". This was on both rem and sav rifles with pilars and or bedding blocks. I now torque at 35 on all rifles.

Yup..!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.