How stiff is too stif closing bolt on jammed bullets?

djtjr

Guys I have a gun that is in the same chambering as another gun I have, I wanted to see if I could use the same dies and I built up a load. It just happens that the best load is the same as my other gun but the seating depth jam is a bit more as I guess one reamer is a bit different than the other. The bolt will close on the new gun but it does take some pressure to do so the jam is prob .015-.02 A opposed to .005 on my other gun.
Anyway my question is how much presure is too much when closing a bolt? I can do it with one hand but I do need to sort of pinch it down if it were a repeater it wouldn't be easy to run a fast string. Can this cause damage to the lugs if there is pressure but it's not crazy? If the load shoots great should I leave it or seat the bullets deeper to avoid this. Assuming no presure after shooting can I be damaging the lugs closing it a bit tight? Any thresholds for how tight is too tight? Thanks in advance.
Don

How do you measure jam? Jamming .015 - .020" should not cause hard bolt closure. I agree, its in the brass. Try F/L or small base sizing.

Did you try to run an empty resized brass in there first ? Just to make sure its the bullet. If you jam the bullet in the rifling .005 -.010 thou. it should be good ,but you should be able to close the bolt with little resistance. If you cant then your neck tension is extremely tight or the case is larger than the chamber.

as long as you grease the lugs you should not hurt them. Is this the same brass from the other gun or seperate brass for each rifle as it should be

thansk guys its not the brass its dedicated brass to this rifle fl sized that chambers with no problem before i load the bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.