How should I resize my Model 700 300 WSM?

GlennRMK

Hello. I appreciate any help in advance.

I am not a competitive shooter. This is a hunting rifle(elk, bear, deer, antelope) but I do spend a lot of time at the range.

I use RCBS dies.

I have a Remington Model 700 CDL stainless fluted with an HS Precision stock in 300 WSM. Gun seems to be a good shooter. Best group at 100 yards so far is about .5". This load consists of 180 gr SST, 68 grains of IMR4831, 215M primers and winchester or federal brass. Chrony says 3060-3080 fps. NO PRESSURE SIGNS. Gun shoots quite a few different loads between .6" and 1".

I had a Weatherby Vanguard with the Bell and Carlson stock that I had shot maybe 800-1000 rounds of .300 WSM with. I neck sized everything and never had a chambering issue.

However I probably have around 200 or 300 through the Remington and
I have been neck sizing but now I am finding some brass don't chamber or chamber hard.

So, now I am thinking I need to full length resize.

I have been reading around seeing a lot of shooters are saying they full length resize and set the shoulder back .002 which has no effect on accuracy. What is needed to measure this? Or do I need a different brand of die? Hearing a lot of people using the Redding. I have read people just set the die up so it you back the die off a turn from the shellholder and adjust it down till it chambers.

Whats everyone opinions?

Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.