How much would you spend on a .223 rifle?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Stanm70, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Stanm70

Stanm70 Well-Known Member

Ive recently been looking for parts for a .223 varmint/practice gun. I have been thinking about building it with a custom action, is this a worthwhile investment or would you do semi custom?

2. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I have no need for a .223 varmint rifle....But if I was to build a designated varmint gun, I would use a short-action with a standard (.308) bolt face, and chamber it to .22-250...That way you can use that action for other calibers later on.

However, that is just me....

A .223 varmint gun would be great coyotes and other varmints and for practice. I just don't coyote hunt enough. WhenI do, I usually take my Accumark .257 Wby Mag or my .17 HMR. My buddy I usually go with has a Rem 700 Varmint SF in .17 Remington Fireball, but unfortunately they have discontinued that caliber. It is a sweet shooting little caliber. It hauls ass, with virtually no recoil, uses a .308 bolt face, and a standard short-action receiver. I've tried to buy it off him several times, but he won't sell it... You can still buy one in .22-250, .223, .220 Swift, and .308 Win.

.220 Swift is another awsome varmint caliber. I had one of those for a little while.

http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-varmint-sf.aspx

3. The Oregonian

The Oregonian Well-Known Member

I am pondering the same question. I think I am going to get a Savage 10 predator with max1 camo...it is around $800. Likely selling my AR15 as I just don't use it much as I prefer to practice with a bolt gun, and will jut move my VX-6 from the AR to my new gun. Not a big fan of semi auto's except in handguns...all my shotguns are pumps or O/U.

4. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

i would get a rem 700 hvy barrel. add a krieger barrel. if that is not good enough then sell and get a custom.

5. pdog2062

pdog2062 Well-Known Member

Try the savage hog-hunter in 223.Mine shoots half inch or better with 55 vmax
    or the 55 grain varmint nightmare bulk with varget

6. Beluebow

Beluebow Well-Known Member

I agree with Roninflag,,,get a remmy action screw a Krieger/Brux/Bartlien barrel on it and a nice trigger and your GTG.

7. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

If you come across a smoking deal on a Howa .223 I wouldn't pass it up either.

My dad bought a Weatherby Vanguard (aka Howa) in .223 about 5 years ago. It has a 20in heavy barrel 1-12tw. He bought it brand new at Sportsman Wharehouse. They were on sale for $339. He didn't really want it at the time but it seemed like a good deal so he bought it with the intentions of re-barreling it to a .223AI later on. It turned out to be such a good shooter he's never done a thing to it except shoot the heck out of it. He did put a Timney trigger in it though. He has a 6.5-06AI built on a Howa that shoots very well too.

8. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

I THINK...you can still get the Rem 700 varmint in 204 caliber also..

9. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

I just bought a Vanguard SII 223 for $480 at the local SW and it's a half MOA shooter. It has a 1:12 twist and will stabilize 53 Vmax's. When the barrel is shot out, I'll have the action trued, get a new match grade barrel in a light varmint contour, and put it a new aluminum bedded B&C stock.

You could go full custom but I see no practical advantage to it for a 223.

Also, if you want to shoot longer high BC bullets in it, a factory barrel wont get you there. I'm happy shooting the 53 gr Vmax's with it. My son and I were shooting 850 yd rocks with a few weeks back with about 20 MOA of up correction and the wind was blowing about 15 mph give or take. and we were using about 12 MOA for wind.