How much weight/distance for backpack training?

Dfanonymous, please explain on the pack is set up incorrectly. 🙏
Sure there's 3 things. Two are no exceptions, one is subjective.

First two, are having the correct torso length and correct waist belt. This is both pack size AND set up. I'll add you don't want to just leave your load lifters loose or pull it to tight. Learn how to adjust them.

The last is the pack needs to feel good. I use Mystery Ranch, I've used them for a very long time and they work for me but I don't ever expect it will fit others the way it fits me. I think that's true if all packs. Here's and example video for visual aid:

I don't think there's one correct answer but I'll relate my recent experience.

I'm 70, 5 foot nine and 225 lbs, so I'm significantly overweight. I do have a healthy heart, lungs, back and joints. I hiked 170 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail in Washington State this past summer. I averaged 12 miles a day with the longest day about 15 miles. The base weight of my pack was about 20 lbs and fully loaded with food, water and fuel about 37 lbs. A few stretches I had to carry extra water so probably got up to 40 lbs. I never felt overloaded.

I trained for 4 months in the Spring, fast walking with a 20 lb pack at least an hour a day. I also did leg extensions and curls with 10 lb ankle weights. I wore good supportive boots with insoles.

I had absolutely no problems and I'm going to another section this summer.
You're awesome! I'm 67 and recovering from prostate cancer treatment. I think I need to dial back my backpack weight so I can walk further when training.

when doing my Alaska hunting camping trips I would start off with a 20Lbs and by travel time I was back up to a 60-70 lb pack like back in Nam times. We were doing 10-15 day trips then. Also did NWT- Alberta-and a few other trips.

Last edited:
I do some backpacking and have settled on Bergens of Norway. I am 6-7, 230#. Most packs are made for, excuse the phrase, shorter people. On me the pack is halfway down my back, or the waist belt is 8 inches above my waist. On my pack the length is adjustable for that difference. Other packs out there with this feature, also, but my Bergens has worked well for me.

When researching backpacking for my young children, i was advised their loaded packs should be no more than 10-15 % of their body weight. The idea being not to over stress their muscles or damage bone growth plates.