how much scope is enough?

garsticker

I am building my first long range rifle and plan on alot of action when the pines are cleared out on our place. The problem I keep having is in scope choice. My question is how much scope is enough? 3x12 or 6.5x20 or somewhere in between. I will buy upper end optics for sure but I have never done really long distance hunting and was wondering about what was enough and how much is overkill. By the way I will mainly be hunting deer in TN maybe a coyote or 2

You didn't mention the distances you will be shooting. If your going with a top end scope then get a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 ... that is mostly the scope of choice for long range hunting, it will also work well for close shots too.

Dave

I'll probabaly top out at 600 yards. The vast majority of shots around the 300 to 400 mark. I was going to buy a Diavari 3x12x56 and then was thinking that I may need more
power. I wasn't thrilled with the nightforce optics because of the narrow field of view but I do notice alot of folks shoot them.

I think that the 3X12X56 would be a very good scope for your purpose. I mostly use 3.5X15 or 4X16 power. I also have a 5.5X22 but do not like it as much for an ALL around scope,definitely for past 1K the 22 power shines.....
thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'll probabaly top out at 600 yards. The vast majority of shots around the 300 to 400 mark. I was going to buy a Diavari 3x12x56 and then was thinking that I may need more
power.

[/ QUOTE ]

The better the glass quality, the less magnification is really needed. Quite a matter of taste... I was shooting an A4 size target the other day at 500 meters using 5x magnification on a Karl Kaps Sniper 2.5-10 x 56. Ok hits, no problems at all. We have a crazy heat wave going on up here and more magnification was quite useless, hot air disturbing the picture.

With that Kaps at 10x I can see 30 cal bullet holes from 400 meters in a brown IPSC target, I´d say 10x is enough for up to 1000 meters/miles or so for deer size targets. Fine reticle of course.

In my case, less has turned into more. I like to see what is happening around the target area,too. And I have used much more magnification earlier... now my shooting is much better.

Also, it´s nice to have that 2.5 , ready for an occasional "surprise deer" up close. But these all are highly personal opinions and depend on what you are possibly encountering in the woods.

There was a brown bear a few miles from my home last week. I sure wouldn´t like to face one at 50 yards with a 6 x scope.

[ QUOTE ]
I´d say 10x is enough for up to 1000 meters/miles or so for deer size targets.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heck I shoot golf ball sized targets out to 1000 miles all the time with my eleventybillionsuperbanger magum and a 10x scope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I´d say 10x is enough for up to 1000 meters/miles or so for deer size targets.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heck I shoot golf ball sized targets out to 1000 miles all the time with my eleventybillionsuperbanger magum and a 10x scope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops my yards became miles lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It´s been sunshine and over 30 C ( 90 F) where I shoot for a week now. The mirage is quite serious, add a warm suppressor and it gets interesting.

One thing, besides the the Schott Glass (same stuff in Zeiss), I really liked was the 1:6 ratio for IOR scopes. My 3-18x42 Tactical is an awesome peice of glass. I can crank it down to 3x for walking around and up to any power I feel is capable of completing the task at hand, based upon the mirage.

875 yard Ackley w/ IOR 3-18x42 Tactical scope
Just realized the phot's date is wrong. It was about 2 weeks back.
Right side of Rem 700 w/ IOR 3-18x42 in 30-06 Ackley

For reference, the gongs are 15" x 25" (20" to top of shoulder)and 10" round from LV Steel.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.