How Much Runout Is Expected On New Unfired Brass

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I have had bad luck with the quality of some of my new brass. It has 10 or more thousandths of runout.

How much do you normally expect from new brass. I want to give the manufacturer some constructive feed back.

Last edited:
We'll I'm relatively new to this whole game and just recently started measuring runout, but on my virgin winchester brass it seems to be around 3-5 thousanth's.

It could be anything in the world until fireformed.
Once you pull it from a smokey chamber, it'll be right(until you FL size it).

Well, yes, Mike I know that. But I don't like the idea of all those high runout loads while I am working up loads.

Len,
I never reload new brass without putting them trought the sizing die first. That in its self will straighten up some of the run one to where is some what acceptable. If not, you'll just have to fire form them and then work up your load.
I hope this helps.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I would expect the majority of brass to be .002" TIR or less. The last batch of .300 Win Mag lapua brass ran .0015" TIR for 200 rounds. Only 1 piece was .0025"

essup, thanks, that is the kind of answer I am looking for in order to give feedback to Dakota.

"How much do you normally expect from new brass. "

Well, I don't normally have an expectation, I just take what I get.

It takes a firing, some careful reloading methods and excellant dies to get run out down to a couple thou or less on the second try.

that is the kind of answer I am looking for in order to give feedback to Dakota.

You solicit 'supporting opinion' merely to publicly paint a vendor with mud..

However, most experienced reloaders here know that new brass will take to the chamber on fireforming. That initial runout of NEW brass means nothing..
Most here know that new brass will gain a few grains of H2O cap, and change in headspace on fireforming. So they know to load develop with brass thats settled, rather than chasing their tails.
And I'm sure the vendor runs into your type daily. They'll sing you a song and go on about Getin-R-Done.

Sad thread

Mike, I am sorry the tone of my reply with you was impatient. Impatience is my flaw as my wife can well attest. :( I am trying to work on that. But meanwhile I get impatient with her when she replies but doesn't actually answer my questions.

most experienced reloaders here know that new brass will take to the chamber on fireforming.

Yes, I know that, too. But if normally good brass has only a couple thou of runout, my load workups are going to be just fine for my purposes (maybe not yours) while fireforming.

And I wasn't starting this thread to bad mouth the manufacturer. I don't do that. And I didn't need to mention the name so I have edited it out of the original post. I was doing it to gather data to make my discussion with them informed and fair on my part. But thanks for your help. :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.