How much magnification for 1000 yd. deer hunt

Not trying to start anything, but if you are talking low light doesn't a higher magnification work against you? I'm refering to the exit pupil. I was watching some deer right in the last seconds of light this past evening and had to turn the power down to distinguish buck from doe.

Very much so, but at least you have the capability to turn it down and gather more light. I usually come down just enough till I start seeing the target brighten up.
On a side note, I was comparing two Leupold Vari-X III's on two of my rifles a couple of days ago. Both are 6.5-20X, one is a 1" tube w/40mm objective the other a 30mm tube w/50mm objective. The larger tube w/objective does seem to help a bit. My old eyes need all the help they can get! It frustrates me to no end when a deer steps out in the last couple minutes of legal shooting and all I can tell is it's a deer. When they're all "black blobs" I know it's time to pack up and go. JohnnyK.

It seems to me it depends a lot on the scope. I shot an awful lot of marmots between 500 and 750 yards with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44. Even when they were in the shadows of the rocks I could pick them out. I would not have hesitated to shoot at something the size of deer at 1K with that scope.
The scope I am currently using for LR varmints is a 4-16x50 Schmidt Bender PMII. This thing has been fine for picking out marmots as far as 1200+, even when they are in the shadows. Once I get out around 1400 they need to be out on the rocks as they are getting pretty small.
Another scope I use on a 22-250 is an old IOR 6-24x50 with the 30mm tube. This scope is beginning to lose resolution to pick out PD's in the grass at around 800 yards.
I think the difference must be in the quality of glass in the different scopes. The S&B is in an entirely different league than the IOR, and at 16 power it does things at ranges I don't believe the IOR would be useable at.
I'll add that, after using the Schmidt, I have an even greater appreciation for the quality of the Conquest glass, especially at the prices of these scopes.

A deer at 1000yds in low light, hum....I would opt for the 6.5-20X variables. My eyes aren't the best in the world and if I can't see it, I know I can't hit it. JohnnyK.
Greater Magnification does not help in low light, it hinders.

The higher the power the more light it takes to give a readable image.

If low light is your concern it is the larger diameter Objective (all other things being equal) which makes the difference in those critical moments just before it's too dark or not quite light enough.

Best quality one can afford.

Largest objective one can afford.

Scopes of 30mm Tube diameter or larger.

Again the above are based on "when all else is equal", that means equal quality equal quality coatings etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.