How much is this going to affect accuracy?

kirbymcrae

So, I have an issue. Maybe big, but hopefully not :D The last 3/4" of my barrel got scratched up (long story). Anyway, is this gonna make it shoot like crap? If it is do I need a whole new barrel or what?

Thanks,
Kirby

Attachments

• IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1948.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 119
Yes, that will affect accuracy, by quite a lot I expect. No way to know that for sure other than shoot it. Scratches (gouges) that deep are pretty major and the area around the crown appears to be scratched up as well.

New barrel or cut the barrel off below where the damage and have recrowned.

So, I have an issue. Maybe big, but hopefully not :D The last 3/4" of my barrel got scratched up (long story). Anyway, is this gonna make it shoot like crap? If it is do I need a whole new barrel or what?

Thanks,
Kirby

Yes !!!!
The crown is the last thing that the bullet sees/Is effected by, and is very important
to the accuracy of a firearm.

I would recomend shortening the barrel at least 1" and re crown it.

Depending on how long the barrel is, velocity loss may be minimal.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks,
Kirby

To hear the story on how the hell a bbl got THAT screwed up...If you make the time to wright it, I'll make the time to read it!!

I would definitely cut the barrel back past that and recrown it or just put a whole new barrel on it. I would not recommend shooting the gun in that condition. If you did your bullet would probably leave the barrel at half the weight it was originally haha.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.