How much has this site cost you?

How much have you spent as a result of this site?

• $0

Votes: 16 6.6%
  • $1-$1000

Votes: 41 16.9%
  • $1001-$5000

Votes: 94 38.7%
  • $5001-$10000

Votes: 59 24.3%
  • $10001+

Votes: 33 13.6%

• Total voters
well lets see, here's my reasoning

Lets go back to 1981, I was a 21 yo kid, owned a rem 760 270 win, I was deer hunting one day, saw a buck out a "pretty fir piece" ranged it years later and near as I could tell it was 606 yards. I layed down prone and put the thick part of the duplex in the 4x redfield widefield best I could on the bucks back and let a 130 gr sierra fly.....the buck folded.
I kept thinking, theres got to be a way to do this consistantly and on purpose. that day sent down a long and winding road, I purchased a rem 700 LH in 270 win, then a 7 rem mag, then a 270 weatherby mag, I learned alot about shooting, almost nothing about ballistics, all my info came from shooting times mag, and a few other publications but nothing was much in depth. In '96 I went to the eastern oudoor sports show in harrisburg pa, I talked with mark bansner, and soon ordered a LH UR-1 in layne simpsons brainchild the 7mm STW, after as extensive as my knoledge of loadwork was capable of I was still stuck at 500 yards, I knew I was on to something but was missing the key bits and pieces of information I needed to be able to fullfill my goal of precisely placing my shots on target at longer than normal ranges. Then in '98 I got hooked up to the internet and things started to come togather, in '02 I found LRH and got help as to what tools I needed, where to get them, and how to use them.
I've had a couple more rifles built since, but now my money is spent with a purpose, I have a safe full of stuff I bought when I didn't know what I needed, now I know what I need, and this place gives me a place to find the folks who makes, sells, or instructs me on getting the best use from it.
That said I feel I owe this website a debth of gratitude, and I thank each member and len for making this site available, money comes and goes, but the knowledge I've got here will stay with me the rest of my days, may they be spent shooting.....at long range!
RR

I am new to this site...but the bill is already starting to add up...

I overheard this at a gunshow awhile back:

Customer to dealer: Do you have that rifle in synthetic and stainless?

Dealer: no I don't think I have one like that here.

Customer: I can't buy it then, I only buy synthetic stock and stainless barrel so my wife can't tell the difference when a new one comes in the house.

My buddy and I looked at each other and you could probably see thelight bulb above our heads.

Since I'm new to the site, I haven't spent any money YET! But I imagine it's not too far off in coming. Before I found this site I was pondering my next major rifle purchase to be a 338-375 Weatherby magnum and after reading up on people's experience with them in the forums I'm pretty set on getting one in the next two years.

I thought to be an official member of Long Range Hunting you had to own or promise to buy the following.

Use highest B.C. bullets made for your caliber.
A high quality scope with target knobs.
A Kestrel Wind Meter.
A Swarovski Lazer Range finder.
A PDA with Exbal.
A Harris Swivel bi-pod.
A rifle capable of shooting Sub-MOA to at least 800 yards. Bonus points if it has a brake on it.

To be a Premier member your rifle must be a custom rig with a Night Force scope and shoot 1/2 MOA to 1000 yards.

I have spent about $3700 so far on the basic gear and one stock rifle. I'm still working on my Premier membership. That should double that figure.

Sweet shooting 338 RUM and 7mm RUM and a 1500 yd range finder plus good scopes and lots of ammo to practice...$1500.

A beautiful Colorado bull elk taken last fall with two perfectly placed shots at 320 yds...PRICELESS!

Thanks for all the info and advice, guys!

Hired Gun,

That was good. Dern, if I'da botta Nightforce instead of a Leica I'd be one of them there primear mumbers.:D

To extend my previous post on this thread, I've rebuilt the stock on my 338 RUM, started on a 6BR, improved my bipod design, built some more shooting matts, made my own rifle carrying back back with special detachable pouch for the PDA, Bino, LRF, and on and on. Also improved the build on the camp kitchen/shelter, and HHO'd my Habit Invasion Vehicle (Hummer 4 or HIV:rolleyes:)

The sad part is that I haven't killed any note worthy animals in two years. This is gonna be THE year.

I haven't been happier.............

Its kind of different walking into Sportsman's Warehouse or Cabelas knowing that they won't have a darn thing I need. However, during a weak moment I did purchase a Springfield XD Subcompact. Pretty sweet.

I've done a lot of searching for a long range rifle, then I found this place. There is so much information here, that it will actually save me $$ because I won't have to spend the $$ twice on the same thing. This year (so far) it's been a PDA, Kestrel, couple of bipods, Spotting scope, .257 Wby Mark V lightweight with Swaro 4-12 TDS, rifle rest, couple of bags, Exbal, too many bullets to count, Accuload, shooting mat, .22LR Savage for practice (1:9 Lilja 28" barrel w/Bushnell 10x40 Elite Mil-Dot w/Target Turrets), Savage Accutrigger .223 for more practice, took a trip to see Kirby and ended up sending him some $$ to get a 7mm AM build started.......

Still need to get a good backpack (leaning towards Gunslinger or J107), lighter tripod for the spotting scope and a good rangefinder/binoculars.

I'm almost afraid to total it up. Good thing I'm single!!

I'm having a 338rum built by Defensive Edge - also bought a remington sendero 300win maq and had Jim at Centershot do some work on it.

I have spent most of my money on reloading equipment. But I think the site has saved me money, I would have spent more in bullets if I hadn't bought the reloading equipment.

I would really hate to add it all up. On a good note my wife knows exactly how much I spend. <=she is better than I deserve.

Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.