How many of you went back (scales)

I think you'd be stunned at what they use to weigh things with! I've spoke in the past about turning balance weights for gas turbine wheels, and I know of one group that simply uses about six different Pact electronic scales (depending on which particular lathe they are being machined at). They cut and polish these to about a +/- one and one half tenth grain window. Then they are sent to the lab for a final measurement. They use a $10K scale to make this check. This scale is checked every three months to another electronic scale which is known as the master. What it's checked against I can't say as I've never been in the lab when they did this. These guys are very serious about the compressor stages in a jet engine, as an explosion is extremely ugly unless it's in the pit. The only place they use an analog scale is on the shipping docks and during inventory when they simply weigh everything for a parts count unless it happens to be a finished product. As for the comparison to the Chargemaster, a tenth of a grain is a tenth of a grain weighing anything.
gary

Your 100% correct about the jet engines...I should know...

Man, what a disappointment. I used hornady digital scale for a few days and proformed well. After that week, everything went down hill. Wouldn't keep zero no matter what I tried.

I used a rcbs 1010 beam scale and returned the love I had. I placed a small fiber on scale and another one to center of magnet. When I put powder I can see the hairs align, even better with a big magnifying glass attached to housing

I just use the RCBS Charge Master and set it to .1 grain less then check the charge on the 505. Usually just a little hand trickle to top it off. In the mean time the Charge Master is throwing another charge. :):)

Man!
Am I glad I ran onto this thread. I was thinking about one of the new-fangled powder scales but this just proves my basic mistrust of electronic magic.
I use a Dillon RL550B as a single stage press when loading rifle rounds. I set the measure a tad light, throw the powder charge and then dump it into to pan. Then I use the trickler to bring the beam to level. Then I use a funnel to put the verified load back into the case.

The Dillon stays within a couple of tenths anyway but I like to see the weight for myself.

Yes, its another step but I like they way things show up down range.

this just proves my basic mistrust of electronic magic.
There is no proof of anything here.
And keep in mind the only way you can prove your balance is right -is to compare it with a new fangled digital scale! That is, one that reads in digits..

While you're trickling and balancing, I've charged a case from previous, and seating a bullet -because my ChargeMaster is doing the throwing, trickling, and balancing for me.
It's like power windows. Once you get past the distrust and get used to pressing buttons from the drivers seat, you just don't ever want to go back to individual hand cranks.
Well, unless you're not capable of adapting to power windows. Some sort of disability..

I have a high dollar thrower & beam scale around here somewhere. Used them a long time. Even paid for special tuning of the scale and took it to work on occasions for comparison to mega-buck digital standards. But I took a leap of faith with ChargeMaster, modified it, learned how to use it, and with comparison measure on far more accurate digital scales. Now I don't know where exactly my past methods were packed away, but it doesn't matter any more.
I've adapted.

Man!
Am I glad I ran onto this thread. I was thinking about one of the new-fangled powder scales but this just proves my basic mistrust of electronic magic.

Like Mike I don't know how this thread proves anything. I did an informal tally that may not be 100%

Those that were dissatisfied with OTHER brands (not RCBS) - 6
Those that were dissatisified with RCBS - NONE
Those that NEVER TRIED a digital but bad mouthed them - 12

Those that were satisfied with OTHER brands - 4
Those that were satisfied with RCBS - 11

Typical

Your 100% correct about the jet engines...I should know...

I was over at Rolls Royce (just before they took over actually), and a TF41 wheel exploded in the pit. It shook the entire building (over 50 acres under one roof!). If that wheel had been out in the open in inside an airframe it would have been like a 2000lb. bomb going off!
gary

I'm new to the RCBS Chargemaster Combo. Less than 1 month. I've now loaded ~300 pistol rounds (40 S&W) and 75 rifle rounds (.280 A.I.). I've used both ball powders and stick. Slicker than snot.

Being a recent convert, and having used only a balance beam scale for 40+ years, I smile reading these posts from folks that haven't tried the RCBS Chargemaster Combo. The RCBS increases the fun factor in reloading. I'll be loading .300 Win Mag today with a different stick powder. Looking forward to it.

I've weighed 75 .280 cases. Much faster than the balance beam.

I've been using the Chargemaster combo for 3 years and will never go back to a beam scale.

Initially, I didn't really trust the Chargemaster scale and always used my 505 beam to validate charge weights thrown by the CM. The 2 were hardly ever the same...usually no more than a .2 diff. I finally went out and bought calibration weights and much to my surprise, it was the Chargemaster Scale that was more accurate. The 505 now sits on a shelf in the closet.

I once threw a hundred charges of IMR 3031 (35.5 grains of powder), and checked each charge on two independent scales from my Pact dispenser. Surprise each scale read exactly the same! So to confirm these weights I checked them with a 50.0 grain brass weight that I built. Before using the weight, I wiped it down and used a pair of tweezers to handle it. Surprise all scales showed 50.0 grains of weight exactly. The weight was checked on three different scales when I built it (including a master scale used to check all the other scales at work).

more than good enough for me!
gary

I bought a Lyman/Ohaus 505 in 1966. It was high tech then with the new Magnet, copper bar beam damper. It has served me well. I have used dippers made out of shell cases with neck cut off at shoulder and a wire soldered on with a wood handle. a dip and a little trickle works well. about 9 years ago I added a RCBS 1010 scale. If I was still competing in big bore matches I would look at some of the modern digital scales.

Re: How many of you went back for two more?

Chargemasters_zps5ce05314.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.