How many foul shots do you take?

Yes, exactly.

I'll put 50-70 shot through before cleaning again. I'll wait until the groups start to open back up a bit.

My rifle
Clean barrel=2 MOA
Fouled Barrel=.5-.75 MOA

I used to clean often. When I got the rifle it was just a two inch shooter. Not very happy. Then I had some scope problems and ended up firing 20 rounds at one. Boy was I suprised when the last ten grouped a lot closer than the first ten. I figured it was barrel break in. I cleaned it and put it away.
Next time I shot it, it was back out to 2" until I got a few round through it. Now I'll only clean her when she tells me to.:D
That's exactly what I have been doing,if I cleaned my barrell after every time I shot a few rounds off,I would be buying a new barrel in no time.In my case,foul shots would would be harder on my barrel than lack of cleaning.

Interesting... my Savage 112 in 25-06 also requires 7-8 shots after cleaning before groups tighten up. Gave me fits when building a load until I figured it out!

I fire two rounds thru others (Tikka, Remington, Winchester) and have no problem.

I use wipeout - NONE!

on this recommendation I purchased the accelerator and patch out wipe out products last weekend. I cleaned my guns and went the next day to the range. On my tikka T-3 243 I shot the best group ever with this rifle, on the first set of 5. The first shot was the "flier", being 1/2 away from the others. The 2nd shot was on the top left edge of bullseye, and the next 3 were all thru one hole, bullseye, overlapping the 2nd shot.

Tossing out shot#1, shots 2-5 measured 9/16" outside to outside. Subtract .243 (dia) = .32" group.

The next 4 sets of 5 incremental groupings were all 0.8" or less...

I'll be using wipeout products - accelerator and patchout - for all my rifles. Besides the accuracy improvement, there's no scrubbing involved...

The phenomenon of rifles shooting better after their barrels are slightly fouled just seems completely counterintuitive to how you'd think a rifle should work... Can anyone give any sort of scientific explanation as to why this happens?

The phenomenon of rifles shooting better after their barrels are slightly fouled just seems completely counterintuitive to how you'd think a rifle should work... Can anyone give any sort of scientific explanation as to why this happens?
It might have something to do with the oily residues left behind from the cleaners,solvents,oils etc.It may just take a certain amount of shots to burn all the residues off.Who knows???

OK, I guess I could see that being the case... but with that being said, what does Wipe-Out have to do with anything here? How does using it mean that you don't have to take fouling shots before the gun is accurate?

All my rifles shoot best clean. I use WipeOut and Accelerator. I patch out with 2 or 3 wet patched of Accelerator then shoot it full of foam. I let it soak overnight and patch it out perfectly dry. My first shot is always my best and the groups progessively get bigger as I go. My Rugers are much more noticable in this traight than my Weatherby's are. The Weatherby's shoot really tight for a long time. I never have shot then enough to have the accuracy go south. I always clean all my guns after they get anything over 50 shots through them or they got wet.

foul shots

Interesting... my Savage 112 in 25-06 also requires 7-8 shots after cleaning before groups tighten up. Gave me fits when building a load until I figured it out!

I fire two rounds thru others (Tikka, Remington, Winchester) and have no problem.

I can attest to your fustration. I just found out that my pss needs 8-10 foul shots before it starts to group well. Had a gunsmith bore scope it and told me to shoot it fouled. My sako on the other hand fouling shot is a 1/4" away from group. Smithy bore scoped that one and said to baby it, should last a long time.

Bore Conditioner

I have found that by using bore conditioner after i clean with wipeout I only need one fouler to settle things down, before I started using it about 3.I think it is important to use some light oil or better yet some bore conditioner to neutralize the solvents that are in cleaning products, after were done cleaning.Also Stainless Steel is a very dry metal by nature so I think it helps to add a little lubrication after we strip the metal down to squeaky clean.The product that I have been using is Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner.I also think it helps keep the fouling down.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.