How many foul shots do you take?

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by KQguy, Feb 26, 2008.

1. KQguy

KQguy Well-Known Member

Just curious how many shots you take before your groups settle in.My savage 110fp(factory barrel) seems to take 6-8 shots before it shoots consistant.Does this seem like alot?

2. britz

britz Well-Known Member

My factory Tikka 300 seems to take 3 shots, My remington 30-06 seemed to take 5 to 7. Not sure about my savage 22-250

3. devildoc

devildoc Well-Known Member

Like britz said, depends on the rifle some will settle down after 1-2 some may take 5 or more. In my experience the better the barrel the less fouling shots are needed.

4. Roll-Yur-Own

Roll-Yur-Own Well-Known Member

I use wipeout - NONE!

5. KQguy

KQguy Well-Known Member

What's that?I'm interested.

6. sniperVLS

sniperVLS Well-Known Member

wipe-out

7. rtv900

rtv900 Well-Known Member

One. Thats all I have needed on my 700's and Model 70's.

8. outdooraddict

outdooraddict Well-Known Member

Do you buy it from that site or do other places have it?

9. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

I got my wipe-out from sportsman's wharehouse.

My Savage 112 in 300 win takes 5-8 shots to foul and the groups to tighten back up after cleaning.

10. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

wait a minute...y'all are telling me that after you shoot your gun, you clean it and put it away, then when you take it out again it takes several shots before your gun achieves its accuracy potential again?

11. smoknclays

smoknclays Active Member

10-4 its called fowling the barrel I use montana extreme in all my rifles my stw takes two shots my swift takes 3

12. Blacktail

Blacktail Well-Known Member

Depending on the bullet if i shoot tsx's in my 7 mm STW none loves a clean cold barrel. Accubodns same gun 1-2. My tikka in.270 1-2.

13. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly.

I'll put 50-70 shot through before cleaning again. I'll wait until the groups start to open back up a bit.

My rifle
    Clean barrel=2 MOA
    Fouled Barrel=.5-.75 MOA

I used to clean often. When I got the rifle it was just a two inch shooter. Not very happy. Then I had some scope problems and ended up firing 20 rounds at one. Boy was I suprised when the last ten grouped a lot closer than the first ten. I figured it was barrel break in. I cleaned it and put it away.
    Next time I shot it, it was back out to 2" until I got a few round through it. Now I'll only clean her when she tells me to.:D

14. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

hmmmmmmm.....that's interesting. I own one rifle right now and it never shot very well, so I can't say I have much experience with whether or not it shot better when fouled vs. clean. The rifle shot so unpredictably, that it's now at the gunsmith being rebarrelled, trued etc....

I'll apologize now if I'm about to ask an elementary question, but.....

If you find that your gun shoots better when fouled, and you only clean it when you notice your groups starting to open up, why bother with 'breaking-in' a new barrel? I understand that process to be shoot once, and clean and repeat this process for ten rounds, then gradually shoot more rounds between cleanings. At what point is the barrel broken-in? and if a gun will shoot better fouled, why bother?