How Many Centerfire Rounds Do You Fire Per Year?

How Many Centerfire Rounds Do You Fire Per Year?

• Under 100

Votes: 152 6.1%
  • 101 to 500

Votes: 720 28.8%
  • 501 to 1,000

Votes: 658 26.3%
  • 1,001 to 3,000

Votes: 689 27.5%
  • 3,001 to 5,000

Votes: 143 5.7%
  • Over 5,000

Votes: 141 5.6%

• Total voters

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
It seems the Long Range Hunting group shoots almost as much as the Competition group. In fact, many of our members are serious competitors.

this is an interesting post.....

back when i was a serious competition trapshooter , i shot about 20K rounds of registered targets per yr.....that does not include practice and shoot-off targets (which i figured were about the same)....thats 40,000 rounds......i now think i do a lot of rifle shooting....and i voted in the 100-500rds.....what a difference.....i used to buy several 8lb kegs of powder at a time......and use a couple per month....now i whine about haveing to buy a pound.....AJ

99% of my shooting is center fire rifles and 90% of that is 300 win or bigger, mostly bigger.
If I don't wear out at least 2 barrels a year it is a bad year.
Like any skill long range accuracy can fall off with lack of practice, so trigger time followed by quality time at the loading bench is my idea of keeping in shape.
I sure wish shooting my Lahti was cheaper.

800 rounds on centerfire rifle, and LOTS LOTS OF TRIGGER TIME ON BLANK cases, every 2 days.
This is a habbit from long time ago (7 years) when I was practicing competition shooting and in every day I was shooting between 100-200 rounds from Monday-Saturday.
Now is in my blood, and I can not stay more then 2-3 days without get trainned.
Chris

Last edited:
Untill this year I shot alot then I went to college and that number has went down dratastically but I still probablly shoot over 2k a year.

Maybe 500-800 or so of 7stw, 300rum, 338win, 338-378 etc and 2k+ on 22-250, and 243. then maybe a thousand or two on pistols, 38acp, 243, 45auto.

Rimfire also takes a few thousand a year. well see how I do this year.

I shoot well over 5,000rds a year from my firearmsgun)i like to load and test as much as possible and to shoot as much in different weather conditions to see how my loads as well as my rifles and related gear will perform before i head to the field.light bulb

One round to sight 'er in and one to kill...

...That's about what it was for a friend of mine who got a mule deer buck @ 200 yards with his plastic stock Rem .270. - once he got his glove unstuck from his bipod. As we're walking up the hill to retrieve it, he was asking me if he should go out shooting more often and if he should ever clean the barrel.

I suppose that works for some, but for me I do about:

300 - LTR .308
60 - K31 (have somewhat lost interest in it)
200-300 - M1

500-1000 .22 (gives me something to do in between cleanings or cool-downs)

I'll surely pick up the pace on the .308 now that I'm reloading for it.

Jon

I only get around 300 or so per year the last few years. I just bought a 22-250 and hope to tripple that number this year. :) I run through about 1500 minimum in my 22 lr for kicks and trigger time. I spend many Sunday afteroons at the range and shoot the rimfire while my 300 is cooling off.

Actually, I've been working backwards... my rimfire count has been way down the last couple years.

Last year... probably 3000 rds of .308, ~2300 of which were thru my 12 F/TR between when I got it (beginning of July) and the end of the competitive season here (beginning of November). Probably 500rds of .223 Rem for practice and various XTC matches, 2-300 rds of 6mm BR for load development, practice, and matches, and about 200rds thru a new 12 F/Open in 6.5-284.

Around 1,000 for rifle(mostly .308)....totally forgot to include pistol/shotgun. With all centerfire being counted, close to 3,000

I am steadily increasing my shooting amount. When I had only my .223 I was shooting maybe 100rds a year. When I got the .308 I had a rifle to shoot while one cooled down and I figure I started shooting about 250 a year total. Now I have a .300 Win mag and am firing a total of about 400rds a year I would guess. That doesn't include 9mm or .22LR rounds though.

What is odd is that my wife has encouraged me to shoot more because she likes to know that we are getting out moneys worth out of the guns even though she hates shooting. Makes a heck of a spotter though
Lucky me
Lucas

If you start doing any kind of "highpower" match shooting; across-the-course, conventional prone, Palma or F-class, you'll start shooting 50 - 120 rounds each match, plus practices... Shoot a couple of matches a month and the ammo count starts really adding up. Barrel life becomes a factor too - one of the reasons I favor the .308 so much.

These days with the cost of ammo & handloads, my .22 is getting a lot of use.

Regards, Guy

In the last two years I have really enjoyed shooting at my ranges 100-200-300 yard competitions. I shoot my .223, and after working up a good bullet,load, I am now really concentrating on learning about the wind. Now I'm expanding to the 600 and 1000 yard stuff and it will be even more critical. The great thing is most of the folks I shoot around are more than willing to help ( same with this site), I just have to be able to absorb it all and put it to use!!! I'm real close to my NF 8-32 for a .300 WM, as a starter, but by this fall I will be calling Kirby for a Bona Fide Wildcat to really ring the bell!!!!

I think the 50 yard rimfire shoots help with wind doping very well as you can really see it's effect even up close.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.