How loud are brakes, to the shooter, in a hunting situation, in the woods?

For many years I hunted without ear protection because I though "Just one shot won't hurt anything" well I can tell you it did.

Once I started match shooting, I had to wear some form of ear protection
To stop the ringing in my ears. So after that I started using ear plugs as a minimum and have never looked back. After many ear exams later, my hearing has remained the same since using ear protection every time I fire a pistol or rifle.

When I started designing muzzle to find out how to make them quieter,
I discovered that there were NO quite brakes so we started testing our brakes against Un braked rifles. Then another surprise was discovered, Brakes are not louder, They are perceived to be because the redirect the muzzle blast closer to the shooter. We place a DB meter directly beside the shooters head and the DB meter gave us some interesting results.

Another interesting thing that we discovered while testing with a DB meter was that the DB levels on un braked rifles were often different in the same rifle with the same load and ranged from 105 to 108. But rifles fitted with tuned muzzle brakes were very consistent shot to shot.(If they shot 105 DB it remained 105 for the three shots fired, If it shot 107 DB then all three shots were 107 DB. Very consistent and maybe an explanation for the reason that they seamed to be more accurate.
(Maybe it had an effect on harmonics) Who knows.

DBs (Decibels) are responsible for the damage to the ear if a certain level is reached. Our highest level reached was 108 DB and it was an un braked rifle, the lowest level was 105 DB with a brake. Both levels will damage the ear. Even though the levels don't sound that far apart, Going from 105 to 106 Is a big step it is a 10x jump so going to 108 is huge. If you place the DB meter out in front of a firearm, DBs will reach as high as 160 DB.

At 85 DB the ears can tolerate 15 minutes in a 24 hour period. At 100 DB the exposure time is 1 minute in 24 hours.

So ear protection is needed for any firearm even for one shot. Ear protection is not a good excuse for not wearing ear protection in my opinion. and if you want to hear better while hunting, the electronic hearing protection that crops the sound to a safe level when the rifle is fires is the cats meow.

Just my two cents

J E CUSTOM

As a young man, I was around constant shooting and explosions, for a couple of years. Thought we would get over it, but not so! When I got back to hunting, I shot non-braked rifles without hearing protection. Didn't think they were that loud, not so! Then I started hunting with braked rifles. By then, I was sure one shot wouldn't hurt, not so!

Now I use double hearing protection, but it's too late ------ the damage is done.

Hitting a hammer on a piece of steel will damage your hearing...it's up to the person if they are willing to take the risk.

I do both muffs and no muffs, just depends on the situation.
I'm also a custom metal fabricator... Trust me, I know. That hasn't helped the situation after 15+ years of hammering metal.

Ha ha ha! That's when/where/why I started to use electronic muffs.
Try being in an enclosure with a Barrett going off, even with double hearing protection.:confused:

And playing off yours and Rich's posts; in an enclosure even a suppressed weapon calls for hearing protection with supersonic ammo.
Yeah, as a non-recoil-shy person, I shot a Gen1 bolt-action Barrett without a brake once.......ONCE! It was quite the experience. Not something I would recommend, unless you're used to shouldering a .577 Tyrannosaur. LOL

Yeah, as a non-recoil-shy person, I shot a Gen1 bolt-action Barrett without a brake once.......ONCE! It was quite the experience. Not something I would recommend, unless you're used to shouldering a .577 Tyrannosaur. LOL

Or an unbraked .375 Snipetac pushing a 375 grain bullet with 155 grains of powder.:eek:
Sorry to hijack OP, back on topic: it's really loud with a brake!:D

Attachments

• IMG_6234.JPG
    IMG_6234.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 114
invest in electronic ear muffs if you are hunting together with or without a brake and with it without a suppresssor.

I hunt with banded plugs around my neck whether I am using a braked rifle or not. There is almost always time to put the plugs in. Sometimes there is not and that is a choice that you have to make.

Braked or not they all make your ears ring. If your ears are ringing it was too loud.

Steve

My first braked rifle was a .358 AI magnum. In the NWT we stalked into a caribou, no bipod, not an easy rest, guide suggested I take a rest off his shoulder. Brakes were pretty new then, but still. I politely declined, put my plugs in, handed him one of my spares, suggested he use them and get behind me. I'm not sure without negative reinforcement the lesson stuck, but I felt better about it.

My first braked rifle was a .358 AI magnum. In the NWT we stalked into a caribou, no bipod, not an easy rest, guide suggested I take a rest off his shoulder. Brakes were pretty new then, but still. I politely declined, put my plugs in, handed him one of my spares, suggested he use them and get behind me. I'm not sure without negative reinforcement the lesson stuck, but I felt better about it.

I know some guides, they all hate muzzle brakes for that reason. I think they're crazy to put any rifle barrel beside their head without ear protection.
I also agree about the plugs that hang around ur neck, it's rare when you don't have time.

Just a little adder to my post.

We also found that the worst place to be when firing a rifle with a brake was off to one side of the shooter, especially if you were in line with the ports. Ports that are angled back are the worst about getting the bystander/spotter.

Even though the DB level was the same, the perceived sound was louder
combined with the blast it makes for a very unpleasant combination.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
As the title states, how loud are muzzle brakes, to the shooter, when shooting in the woods? The reason I ask is I have been contemplating putting a brake on a lighter weight 7mm08 rifle so my wife can see her impacts while shooting long distances but still be able to use the same rifle out of a tree stand in the woods hunting deer. Can you get away with one shot on a deer and not hurt your hearing? She does not want to hunt with hearing protection on as there could be times a deer comes up from behind at close range and she would want to be able to hear that deer coming. she does not like the idea of spending huge sums of money for those small earplugs with speakers either. Thanks!

Bigeclipse, I realize that I'm a bit late to the party here, but I'll put in my 2 cents worth. This comment is for a hunting rifle!!!Before I ever "brake" a rifle (again), it will have to kick "MUCH" worse than my sub 9 lb. .375 AI. Many years ago, I shot it twice in a simulated hunting situation. Two different positions, once seated with a steep hillside behind me, the other was standing in wide open prairie. The results were the same....severe pain, wanted to check to see if blood was running from my ears.

Maybe with some of today's modern hearing protection that will "silence" the blast but allow you to hear normally, I'd consider it! The only other situations would be for a rifle/rifles dedicated for pleasure shooting (not hunting). My hunting rifle....will not carry a "weed-burner"!

I think that brake became a $160.00 fishing weight!

I hope that no one misunderstand my position! There is supposed to be a "smiley face here, but can't " get'r done"! memtb

Last edited:
I can tell you this much... Don't try to shoot them inside of a shooting house like you're a sniper in a hide...You can possibly blow your eardrums. And if it doesn't, you've still done permanent damage to your hearing. Don't ask me how I know...

All the years of shooting without plugs have also given me pretty bad tinnitus... Out in the woods I can hear some VERY faint and far away sounds, that buddies who have much better hearing cannot hear. But sometimes when there's a lot of ambient noise, I can't even hear when someone says something right next to me.

Yup, it as if its being magnified several times. Never hope to repeat that.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.