How Long is "LongRange"?

Hunter308

I'm new to the group and am curious about whether this forum has an official definition about what constitutes "long range" hunting. Is it anything over 300 yards? 500 yards?

thx

Hunter308

I consider long range anything past the point blank range of the firearm. For the 270/300 WSM rifles that I use, that means anything past 350 yds.

Others will give you a different answer. I don't shoot anywhere near as far as some on this board do.

Like k2 said, it all depends on the shooter. i would agree that 350 yards is long range for those who have not put in the range time to be proficient at 6-700 yards or more, (myself included). My personal long range is about 400 yards. This is the farthest that I have the confidence to shoot at a live animal. I do shoot 500 yards with iron sights on the Marine Corps Rifle range every year, but prone shooting with a stationary paper target is a lot different than even a couple hundred yards with buck fever. It just depends on your ability, and your consistent practice to stretch that range.

Philip
wink.gif

I would say long range would start when you need to use the adjustment in you scope and use a range finder to harvest game at the distance. With my 338 Nawakwa sighted in at 400 yards at an elevation of 10,000 Foot above sea level point blank range is 480 yards on Elk size targets. So with this combination long range would be past 500 Yards. I would consider long range form 500 to 1200 yards then I start wanting to use the spotter method getting into very long range form 1200 to 2000 yards past 2000 becomes ultra long range. These are my brake downs for what I consider different ranges. We shot a mule deer at 1850 Meters this year.
Crow Mag

The real answer is that long range is defined by the distance where your odds of getting a one shot kill are better than 95%. For some, that is 200 yds. For me, considerably more.

You can read between the lines here on larger numbers.

I dont think theres a correct answer at all. For those who shoot and can only shoot 200 yards due to distance that would be considered long range to them.
For those who can and do shoot to 700 yards thats considered long range to them.
Down here at my hunting camp I here fellas talking about how they took a long shoot at turned out to be like 245 yards, for them that is long range, for me I've shot at 1000k and have taken game out to 365 yards.
Thats the longest shot I've made on game as I dont have distances further than that as of yet but I know it isnt long range simply because I've shot 1k.
For those who consider long range shooting to be extreme ranges than I would agree but for those folks who cannot shoot that distance because of limiting distances then theres no real long range just what you consider long range.
Its opinionated I think by its very nature.
JM2C.

I've come to believe that I personally don't have a fixed number for long range determination. It really doesn't matter to me as long as I know my limit on distance. The "Long Range" value(s) is/are inflicted upon me/us by the folks I/we meet, talk to and hunt alongside.

When you mention to someone the distance(s) you shoot/will shoot and have shot critters and they go into the "BS", "Oh my god", "whatever", "you're an idiot and here's why....." tirade, you're on your way to learning just how far THAT OTHER persons long range value is... I believe we should, at that point, tattoo it onto their forehead as a warning to others "This man's long range limit is: nn/nnn yards, proceed with caution".

Dave in response to people that acuse you of "B.S. when talking about your capabilities, the correct answer is to slowly reach for your wallet and ask them if they happen to be a betting man. If you are like most on this forum, the other guy loses by backing down or handing over money.

Be sure to use it with the most vocal in front of their friends. Write the bet down on the spot and have witnesses sign. Best done the day after leaving the bar..........

[ 12-02-2004: Message edited by: Randy in Va ]

Randy in VA

The problem with the betting type folks is that they tend to make the situation impossible and/or it becomes a never ending additive series of conditions: real, conjoured, imagined or worst "a once saw/heard of a guy do this". "Yeah, that's it: 900 yards, double crosswind, 30 mph, moonless night, borrowed gun, mixed manufacturer ammo, out of a truck window (moving truck, corduroy road), etc, etc... you know, just like real hunters do it!

Seriously though.

For a new guy, I'd say LongRange begins where he/she needs to THINK A GOOD DEAL about what's required to get the bullet on target, and then also analyze his/her various variables and make corrections BEFORE the shot. If you're not doing this, the shot is natural to you and therefore more than likely normal distance or you're just a poor marksman.

----- "Oh, I forgot to tell you... you gotta make the shot 4 times while blindfolded or the bet's off!"

Re: How Long is \"LongRange\"?

Hunter308

LONG RANGE....is directly commensurate with ones experience in messing around in the shooting game, shooting various types of rifles/ammo in competition, understanding the many intricate problems involving just what a bullet will and can do (ballistics) under many types of varying conditions such as temp/altitude/humidity! What am I talking about here? EXPERIENCE!! When I first looked downrange at the old 36" V target used many years ago....THAT....was LONG RANGE to an ignorant country boy! I didn't believe that ANYONE could hit a bull THAT FAR; especially with a National Match M1 Garand! After many years of EXPERIENCE....and learning the game....hitting the X ring from 1000 yds. with a GREAT shooting Palma rifle...well...it was no problem!

What seems impossible to you now....will not be later!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YA! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re: How Long is \"LongRange\"?

Try this one (I've just concocted it so lets see what everyone thinks).

Your personal "Long range" formula:

Distance to your longest 1 shot kill and second longest 1 shot kill averaged plus 50 yards.

320+380=700/2=350+50= 400 yards.

1480+1250=2730/2=1365+50= 1415 yards.

If you are puttin' 'em down at consistant distances your personal long range grows. But if you had one sweet shot at a super distance but other shots are a bit less then maybe you still need some experience at a more consistant distance.

What do you think guys?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.