How Long A Barrel?

Nitroman

Last week I mailed a Mod 700 .300 Rum barreled action to Greg Tannel for a complete rework. I had also ordered a Kreiger 1:10 barrel No. 17 heavy varmint 1.250" to 0.900" 31" long from Bruno's to be shipped directly to Tannel. I know the barreled action is there, so I assume the barrel is too as Bruno's is much closer than Alaska.

I have a C&R license, and have a few 29" barreled Mausers, a Gew and Persian. They really do not seem long to me, once you've carried one for a few hours, you just get used to the overall length and take it into account when moving about.

So what does eveyone think about leaving this Kreiger at 31" or should I have it trimmed to 28"? Three inches isn't much really, with the muzzle now 0.900", trimming it back would put it at maybe 0.925"?

Any thoughts?

Hello Nitroman;
If you don't mind carting the weight then 31 inches is great for the 300RUM.
Is he cutting the chamber and setting the lands for a certain distance?

Yes he'll be installing the barrel. I included three dummy cartridges so he can cut the chamber to length. I asked for a 0.338" neck, so I'll trim 0.336"; enough to trim off the highs but not so much the neck gets too thin. Minimum chamber to keep things tight. Really looking forward to it. Will top it with a 5.5x22 Nightforce; not yet decided on the HVM or N-PRR1. Jewel trigger.

Have it finished as long as possible...you can always cut it off later if you don't like it but you can't make it longer. With a 7+ pound barrel it doesn't seem that weight is a concern so 3" will be insignificant.

I agree, go for the 31". My only issue with long barrels is the extra flex you get which could result is decreased accuracy. For my custom I'm looking at using a barrel block. It allows you to have a long barrel without the unwanted flex. Although it adds a bit of weight and can sometimes look a bit odd

Here's an extreme example Barrel Block on Savage-Action F-TR Rig within AccurateShooter.com

This guy made a much better looking one Rifle Stock Bible

Have you asked Greg, he is very well respected and makes one heck of a rifle. I would go with what ever Greg suggests. I don't think you would get that much difference in FPS in a 31" over 28".

I would choose balance of the rifle over a few FPS any day.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.