How light bullets with 22-250 : 1in9

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by texasgunner, Feb 7, 2010.

1. texasgunner

texasgunner Member

Hi Guys,
    Just bought a Savage Mod 12 in 22-250, I know I should be able to shoot the
    heavier bullets with it (1 in 9 twist). But was wondering how light I can go
    without the bullets comming apart, of course it will depend on velocity. I want at least 3000f/s. Anynone with some experience.
    Thanks

2. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

Just depends on the bullets. If your using Nosler BTs, you can drive a 40 gr as fast as you want and you will not have any problems. If you go with a conventional cup jacketed bullet such as a speer tnt, Sierra Blitzking or Hornady V-Max, you will likely have to pull the throttle back or you will likely be seeing bullets come apart after leaving the barrel, especially from a warm or worn bore.

The Noslers have a solid base of heavy guilding metal so they can handle pretty much anything you can throw at them.

3. LongBomber

LongBomber Well-Known Member

55gr Vmax at 3600fps make it to the target just fine out of my savage LRPV 1:9 twist. 55 and 60 gr Nosler BT's and 36gr varmint grenades also work well. 52gr Hornady hollow points fly apart roughly 20% of the time. As for velocity, I push most of mine at top end book loads.

Give the 75gr Berger VLD a try, they stabilize in mine and the wind drift is WAY less than the lighter bullets.

4. texasgunner

texasgunner Member

Hey LongBommer,
    You sound like a guy I need to talk to. I just got my Mod 12. and have not
    even had a chance to pull the trigger, weather is rotten in the Texas Panhandle right now. What kind of load are you shooting with the 75gr.
    I do not seem to be able to find much data on them, and thank for the reply.

Texas gunner

5. north of 53

north of 53 Well-Known Member

I shoot a 22-250 A.I. with a one 1:8 twist, mostly I shoot 75 and 80 grain vlds and amax at 3400fps. But just for the hell of it I took some 36gr Varmint Grenades and pushed them up over 4300 and they did not come apart, they didn't shoot that badly but not great. I am not sure what some of the other lighter bullets would do. I have a number of 40 -50 grain bullets I use in my 223 I guess I could see what they could do. I think you should be good up to 3600 with most any of the light bullets. Just be careful on some of the light bullets made for a 22 hornet. They are meant to come apart at slower speeds and they should be avoided with 22-250 with a faster twist.
    Oh and at over 4300fps the varmint grenades did blow up rather impressively when the hit anything and I mean anything,a leaf or blade of grass and they came apart right now. Do the math on the RPMs at a 1 in 8 twist at 4300fps its getting close to 400,000 rpms.

6. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

Hornady has some reloading info on thier 75 Amax for the 22-250 BUT make sure you start with the low recomendations as I could not get to top loads without preasure signs!!
    My old 8 twist 22-250 likes H414 with a magnum primer with the 75Amax. Start @ 33grains and work up.....Hornady says 38.1 is max but 37.5 was too hot in the hot summer sun with the 8 twist, I use 36.5grains @ 3350fps.

7. LongBomber

LongBomber Well-Known Member

For the 75gr VLD I run 37.2gr H414 in a Nosler case, with a CCI benchrest primer, I would have to look up the COAL, but they are seated 5thou into the lands. I get 3170fps, ES 13. I tried RL 17, and got to a max of 3210fps, but the accuracy was not quite as good and i use that powder in other rifles, so I didn't want to burn through my supply.

I was out last weekend shooting at 500 yards, in 7-10mph winds, crossing at just under 90degree's. I was shooting Hornady 55gr Vmax factory loads and my 75gr VLD load. The wind drift was roughly 10 inches less with the VLD. The V-max drifted over 27 inches, and the VLD about 18 inches. My groups with the V-max were about 5 inches wide and 1.5 inches tall, the VLD 1.2 inches tall and a tick under 3 inches wide.

8. texasgunner

texasgunner Member

Thanks Longbomber,
    I do thank you for your time, and info. I am going to see how my gun shoots
    and soon as possible and the weather will give me a break.