How heavy of a bullet can I use in my 300 Win.

Tikka Lover

Official LRH SPONSOR
Been looking at the Berger and also interested in the Wildcat bullets. How heavy is to heavy for this caliber? It's a Savage 112BVSS 26" Barrel. If someone has some reload recipes they would like to share, that would be great too. It will be for hunting purposes out to 600-800 yards deer and elk.

For the ranges you are talking about I would use 190's ... (or 180's if you have to) ... I hesitate to give a load .... as all rifles are different. I have a Remington 700 and my best loads for 180's was 70.0 gr. of IMR 4350; 76.2gr. of H4831 -- without pressure signs in mine, but work up to it .... now for 190's I like H1000 81.5 gr. -- but my handsdown favorite to date is 69.8 gr. RL19 ... (a 5 shot 3" group at 650 yds. is nothing to sneeze at ... and it consistently provides same IF I do my job ==== prone with a bipod no rear bag -- just a hand) 28" Gaillard SS Barrel.... LRB (now you ARE talking 300 win.mag. not WSM??/ if latter would not use that heavy of bullet ...)

If going with the bergers, try the 210 gr with retumbo. With 180s, I like RL22. My sako is 1 in 11 twist. should be fine up to 220 grs.

I killed a bull elk last year with ther 168 grain vld and it worked good it was only 250 or 350 yards I can't rember wich:confused:. Any way go to bergers website and under contacts there is a email address where you can email and ask them for their load data, you might tell berger what twist barrel they you have so he will recomend a bullet that will work in your gun. Thats what I have done for many calibers.

good luck, Gabe

240gr SMK or 250gr hunting, settled on 200smk for long range shooting
200gr sgk for hunting data works for both shots out to 1525 yards in
practice should work for you.
Powder RL-25, 215M, Win cases..

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.