how good is good enough?

longhauler

Hey everyone,

A few questions about my model 700. Had it rebarreled by Hart barrels,did a good job with the barrel and bedding it. The caliber is .257 weatherby it has a 26" stainless sporter barrel. Getting a 1.88" group at 350 yards. Is this considered a good group or should I keep tweaking on it? The powder is 73 grains of reloder 25 with a SMK 100 grain bullet CCI LM primer set at 3.250 COAL. Also should i try a different powder that is not so temp sensitive? Muzzle velocity is 3605. Just wondering before I waste my time.

Hey everyone,

A few questions about my model 700. Had it rebarreled by Hart barrels,did a good job with the barrel and bedding it. The caliber is .257 weatherby it has a 26" stainless sporter barrel. Getting a 1.88" group at 350 yards. Is this considered a good group or should I keep tweaking on it? The powder is 73 grains of reloder 25 with a SMK 100 grain bullet CCI LM primer set at 3.250 COAL. Also should i try a different powder that is not so temp sensitive? Muzzle velocity is 3605. Just wondering before I waste my time.

Yo, you have a LOT of work ahead of you. That group totally sucks at 300 yards. There's always room to try some Hodgdon extreme powder for temp sensitivity reduction but Reloder powders are among my favorites.

JK about the groups though. :D

Derek M

Have you had good luck with the reloder powder in the cold? Just wondering have heard some guys say the temp really plays a number on the velocity. The reloads I shot the 3604 was at a temperature of about 45 degrees. Figured thats the temp i will be deer hunting in if not colder. Thanks for the reply. Even if your comment was a wise *** one. JK

Your group is in line with what mine does with a 100 grainer. Mine averages around 1.75" at 400 yards. I shoot 75.5 grains of magpro and hit around 3800 fps with a cci 250 primer.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.