How far with a 3x9 scope??

Ive got a rem 700 in .270 win with a Nikon 3x9 BDC reticle and im curious as to how far yall think i could reliably shoot at deer with this setup? I figure the weak link is the glass..

We put a 3-9x40 prostaff nikon on a 270 a couple years back when my wife's dad gave it to her because it had to much recoil for him. Using a muzzle brake.....yes a muzzle brake on a 270......she took a big cow elk at 392yrds that year with a well placed single shot. The father inlaw borrowed it back to shoot a cow elk this year with a decent single shot at 377yrds. Conclusion: No problem with the BDC reticle for vital zone hits, Nikon makes a good scope for the money, 270 can easily do elk with solid shot placement. I know people who have done six hundred yards on elk with the 270, I like more gun but it can be done. The reticle should give drops out to 6ish. My 300wsm still wares a 4-12x40 prostaff nikon bdc, I can't find any excuse to change it because it works good............................................................... For DEAR.......SORRY for elk rambling...........With practice as far as you can group them in vital size targets 600 should be no problem from a 100yrd zero but after that you have to mess with turning the magnification down and that is a bit tricky to do exactly the same every time. Can be done, check out Nikon's "spot on" online ballistics program if you have not already.

Thanks for your reply.....i have looked at the spot on program and i have the app on my phone.....could i just dial up my turrets instead of using the reticle? They are 0 stop style

It depends. If it is a buckmaster or monarch: probably but test it for repeatability. If it is a prostaff I would stick to the reticle. I love Nikons and there bdc but even with my monarchs: I have not tried to dial in shots. Might work great and might not? I use the bushnell elite tactical scopes for designated long range dialing and the nikons for sub 700 yard traditional hunting rigs.

To many varaibles to correct for past 500M with that type of BDC. The lack of holds for wind values make it to risky, not to mention the shape of the aming points. If we were talking a Horus system thats another story.

Im sure guys do it all the time but imo its just not enough precsion.

For competitive bullseye........I agree............ For minute of dear vitals with an efficient cartridge.....I have to disagree.......... Get out past 650-700 and I agree again.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.