how far into the neck is safe?

diderr

How far is safe enough to seat the bullet into the neck? I want to seat it as little as I can to have a larger case capacity.

How far is safe enough to seat the bullet into the neck? I want to seat it as little as I can to have a larger case capacity.

One bullet diameter is the rule of thumb but you could use less if your ammo is carefully carried and hand loaded into the receiver.

It is my opinion that a good amount of bullet grip in the neck aids uniform combustion. I prefer that the neck has near full engagement with the bearing surface of the bullet but that is the opinion of ONE.

I want to seat it as little as I can to have a larger case capacity.
if you seat the bullet at the end of the neck, which you can't, and theoretically have powder in there. you'd gain about 10 ft per second of bullet speed.just not worth it.everything will work much better if you seat the bullet close to or at the bottom of the neck.

My 7wsm cases hold bullets with a grand total of .125 contact area above a 162Amax boattail junction. I run tight neck tension of course, single feed and carry any extras in my shirt pocket. It was throated for 175s, has many rounds down her, and likes 162's 0.010 in.

Still works well but I wouldn't do it on purpose.
Shummy

My 7wsm cases hold bullets with a grand total of .125 contact area above a 162Amax boattail junction. I run tight neck tension of course, single feed and carry any extras in my shirt pocket. It was throated for 175s, has many rounds down her, and likes 162's 0.010 in.

Still works well but I wouldn't do it on purpose.
Shummy
How good of accuracy and accuracy differance are you getting by seating it that shallow? does it burn all the powder consistently?

I want to seat it as little as I can to have a larger case capacity.
if you seat the bullet at the end of the neck, which you can't, and theoretically have powder in there. you'd gain about 10 ft per second of bullet speed.just not worth it.everything will work much better if you seat the bullet close to or at the bottom of the neck.

I want to do this because I want to fit a few more grains in the case before the 190 smk's and 210 vld's compress the load. It almost compresses a 65 grain load of h4831sc with a 190 smk seated to a 2.86" OAL.

With 1500 rounds on it, at 100yd 0.010 in it currently shoots between .3 and .5 at 100 3, 5, 10 shot group doesn't matter.
I only tested .010 in, touch, and .010 off. With the latter two while I had a few three shot groups in the 1s and 2s, I also had a few come out of nowhere in the 8s and 9s. When I rebarrel it I will be having it throated with the 162 still above the neck junction but with about .200 grip. Should put me about .030 in front of the neck/shoulder.

I can't comment on how accurate it would be if it were supported by more neck.

I get 2 inches vertical at 500, and the few times I took it to a match 9 out of 10 printed 4 inches vertical at 1k. ES is mid lower teens using H1000 and a cheap chrony. Pretty sure it still burns all the powder.

Shummy

Diderr, i understand what you want to do. i'm just telling you, you're not going to get anywhere near what you think you will. you will only gain about 10 FPS of bullet speed.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.