how far can a 300wm be heard ?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Stealth Hunter, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Stealth Hunter

Stealth Hunter Member

Hi, I'd like to know what do you guys think the ideal noise range of the 300wm is,
    open field, moderate wind, no muzzle break... how far can the rifle be heard ?
    thanks !

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

It would be measured in miles...as would most cartridges.

Brakes would affect both distance and direction of muzzle sound.

3. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

It, like most magnums can be heard for miles away echoing through the atmosphere.

Just out of curiosity....Why do you ask?

4. lloydsmale

lloydsmale Well-Known Member

I think i heard it here in michigan!

5. Stealth Hunter

Stealth Hunter Member

Thanks for the reply, I found this BLM land I can legally shoot in but I don't want to bother or even have to worry about bothering the private lands around it.

6. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I'm unfamiliar with BLM land? Is that like a state wildlife management area?

Also, it won't matter if you disturb any other land or not, IMO, noise is just noise. However, you crack off a large magnum rifle and people around you are gonna know it. :D

I've been told that my A-Bolt 7Mag w/ BOSS, Accumark .257 Wby, and my Sendero 7mmSTW sound like Howitzers going off in the woods, by my buddies. LOL Those are my 3 main hunting rifles, and apparantly they are loud...:cool:

7. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

I hunt and shoot on BLM, BIA ans State owned ground. Shooting spot less than 100 yards from next door neighbor. Not a problem.

If BLM ground is remote the problem is less.

8. timmay

timmay Well-Known Member

I wouldnt worry about it as long as you are legal distance away from any paved roads or houses