• 900 yards

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 1000 yards

Votes: 31 8.2%
  • More than 1000 yards

Votes: 91 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How far would I shoot a deer?? About 1/2 as far as I would a wolf.

Jeff gun)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I'm quite certain that there are 'some'....that would take a shot at 1000 even though they can't keep their rounds on a baseball cap at 200 yds.!!

I think the proper phrasing of the question would better be: at what range would you flatly refuse to chance a shot? It might be 400 yards in windy conditions yet 1000+ with perfect conditions. Hopefully anyone with a 30-30 would have a reasonable max limit. .338 Lapua maybe way the heck out there.

I voted for 500 simply because I've never shot farther. I have a semi-custom 7WSM that could take the shot at 1000, but I could not (yet). I can hit a man size target at 500 with open sites 9 out of 10 times (thank you USMC annual rifle qual). I'm still working up the loads for my WSM so haven't shot it past 200 yet, but hopefully will be ready for this fall to go to 500 and possibly 600.

Hopefully anyone with a 30-30 would have a reasonable max limit. .338 Lapua maybe way the heck out there.

Because the 30-30 doesn't apply to the same laws of physics as a 338, so 338s don't really have a limit.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlX3I8PoRP4]Win94 30-30, High Wind, Rain, 350 Yards - YouTube[/ame]

Or is there another reason?

Your comment/this post is starting to cross a line.
2) We do not discuss ethics. To do so will result in the post or posts being edited or deleted.

I put 600 yards, mostly due to time of flight. Further out than that, I would be afraid that the deer might twitch and I'd miss. If the deer were bedded, I'd probably go out further.

I put 600 yards, mostly due to time of flight. Further out than that, I would be afraid that the deer might twitch and I'd miss. If the deer were bedded, I'd probably go out further.

If the speed of sound is slower than the speed of the bullet, he will twitch on impact and then hear the bad news. Speed of sound is in the 1120 ft/sec range.
So, unless your bullet is attached to the front end of an arrow, you're cool. If you meant a random twitch, my point is moot.

400 yds is my limit on a unwounded game animal. Not that I am indifferent to varmints but high velocity plastic tip varmint bullets expand way out there.

I have shot matches up to 1000 yds and many small varmints at 600 yds and more.

My reason for a 400 yd limit on deer is (1) time of bullet flight that would enable the target to move from a kill shot to a wound shot - sometimes they move just when the shot is taken (2) bullet game killing performance for .30 cal and is better short of 400, I feel better with a 2000 fps plus hit- yes I know a .300 RUM can kill deer over 1/2 mile away (3) I do much of my rifle practice at 400 yds.

What's the term - "bang - flop" or something like that.

Last edited:
If the speed of sound is slower than the speed of the bullet, he will twitch on impact and then hear the bad news. Speed of sound is in the 1120 ft/sec range.
So, unless your bullet is attached to the front end of an arrow, you're cool. If you meant a random twitch, my point is moot.

Speed of sound is 1115 FPS. If your rounds are THAT slow...you might as well take the bullets and throw them at the game animal

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.