How do you test your loads?

mconwa951

Just wondering what some of your procedures are 3 shot or 5 shot groups?

How many rounds do you fire before letting barrel cool and how long to you wait?

How far do you test from 100, 200yds or farther?

Any other little tricks you like to use?

After ladder testing at 300, I move to 200 for 5 shot grouping with atleast 30-45sec between shots.
Then I go to cold bore testing/adjustment, again at 200, beginning 3-4hrs between shots, then days between shots(barrel cleaned/dry prefouled), then I go right to 10min between shots.
200yds and 10min shot rate produces the very worst in performance from my guns, and this is what I want to see. 200 is my nemesis, I shoot better further out.

When I can pull a clean gun and put a single shot into a 1" bull at 200, off a Harris bipod, the gun is ready for LRH.
None of this can be assumed.

I use the OCW method, since my rifles are for hunting I like to have the highest velocity I can with the best accuracy. I drop off book max 5% and load three rounds for charge weights going up in .3 or .4 grains until I get 1 grain above max. I shoot these at 100 yards with 2-5 minutes between shots (depending on outside temp) If I see pressure signs I don't shoot that charge again and note it as my max. After I get the highest node possible I load up 15 rounds and shoot groups at 300 yards, again with 2-5 minutes between shots. I take my Lee portable press so I can adjust seating depth if necessary. I have found 300 yards to be a good benchmark for me, if it shoots at 300 it will almost always shoot good further out. After that I will go to 200 yards and start cold bore testing to set my scope zero.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.