How do you pack in a bow?

Discussion in 'Backpack Hunting' started by twoftagl, Feb 3, 2013.

1. twoftagl

twoftagl Well-Known Member

How do you pack in a bow, along with a standard backpacking load for a spike camp? Assume 6-8 miles in terrain, so I assume handheld isn't really a good option.

Thanks in advance for the input.

2. zuba

zuba Well-Known Member

I have the 'butt bucket' attachment for my eberlestock, havent taken it out west yet but around here it works good. If the area isnt too thick I strap the bow horizontally in the top flap of the pack..

3. IRAMNTMAN

IRAMNTMAN New Member

Just stap it to the back of your pack. Or use a badlands with a small pocket to set the bottom limb in and strap the top. One thing to consider, if the season has begun you may want your bow handy. I very often just carry mine, even for 6 to 8 miles.

4. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

When horse or bike it goes in a scabbard.When I hike I have double bow hooks on my fanny pack.One back and one forward on hip belt.Hans free for glassing

5. elkdude01

elkdude01 Active Member

Take down recurve, it packs nice

6. migolito

migolito Member

Strap it to the back of your pack vertically. I have actually had straps for just my bow sewn on. You can also add a pouch (bucket) so your bow sits in a holder for the bottom of the bow(Badlands). Make sure the bottom of the bow is about 10" higher than the bottom of your pack, so when you set it down it does not sit on the bow cams. DO NOT make the mistake of strapping anything on the string-it will rub through!!
    Another option would be to make a bow case from silnylon or even Cuben with straps sewn on so you can custom attach it to your pack.

7. twoftagl

twoftagl Well-Known Member

That's the main thing I was worried about, the strings getting damaged. Last season I secured it in my bowcase with a couple straps that sat across the servings and roughed them up enough that I ended up having to replace the string. Other than that concern, I like the idea of the badlands bow bucket.

Chris

8. gcbailey

gcbailey Active Member

The Eberlestock M5 pack carries a bow quite well. I like having carriers built into my packs personally.