How do you pack in a bow?

twoftagl

How do you pack in a bow, along with a standard backpacking load for a spike camp? Assume 6-8 miles in terrain, so I assume handheld isn't really a good option.

Thanks in advance for the input.

I have the 'butt bucket' attachment for my eberlestock, havent taken it out west yet but around here it works good. If the area isnt too thick I strap the bow horizontally in the top flap of the pack..

Just stap it to the back of your pack. Or use a badlands with a small pocket to set the bottom limb in and strap the top. One thing to consider, if the season has begun you may want your bow handy. I very often just carry mine, even for 6 to 8 miles.

When horse or bike it goes in a scabbard.When I hike I have double bow hooks on my fanny pack.One back and one forward on hip belt.Hans free for glassing

Strap it to the back of your pack vertically. I have actually had straps for just my bow sewn on. You can also add a pouch (bucket) so your bow sits in a holder for the bottom of the bow(Badlands). Make sure the bottom of the bow is about 10" higher than the bottom of your pack, so when you set it down it does not sit on the bow cams. DO NOT make the mistake of strapping anything on the string-it will rub through!!
Another option would be to make a bow case from silnylon or even Cuben with straps sewn on so you can custom attach it to your pack.

Strap it to the back of your pack vertically. I have actually had straps for just my bow sewn on. You can also add a pouch (bucket) so your bow sits in a holder for the bottom of the bow(Badlands). Make sure the bottom of the bow is about 10" higher than the bottom of your pack, so when you set it down it does not sit on the bow cams. DO NOT make the mistake of strapping anything on the string-it will rub through!!
Another option would be to make a bow case from silnylon or even Cuben with straps sewn on so you can custom attach it to your pack.

That's the main thing I was worried about, the strings getting damaged. Last season I secured it in my bowcase with a couple straps that sat across the servings and roughed them up enough that I ended up having to replace the string. Other than that concern, I like the idea of the badlands bow bucket.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts