How Do You Hunt Squirrels?

I used to shoot them with a .22 but then my brought his 12 gauge and cleaned house. So I bought a .410 and cleaned house. So he went and bough some ak 410 that excepts a 20 round magazine so I'm screwed once again. When we go out we shoot 30-50.

I use a handgun or rifle and I sneak through the woods or walk threw the sage brush or sit on an alfalfa field and shootgun) them with a rifle or handgun.

If it's a gray I take it home and eat it, if its any of the rest of them just leave them where they lay. That taste bad!!

Hey all,

I'm new here and hope to extend my knowledge of long range shooting concepts. Sounds like I may have found the right place (thanks Rupe)!

In the world of my selected squirrel rig, a 130 yard shot is quite far. I am in the process of dialing it in for optimum performance. After a few more sessions with I'll feel comfortable enough with it to take it out for squirrel every chance I get.

I know of one guy that has a similiar set-up to mine that killed a jackrabbit at around 130 yards with it.

This is my squirrel rig: single shot, AirForce Condor air rifle with TimW's .25 conversion kit and custom Hammer.
It also has a lighter return spring installed in the old-style valve (the newer valve is reported to be far superior), and a little seating work.

It is shooting 31grain of squirrel medicine at around 1050fps as it arrived and has yet to be dialed in. Hopefully very very soon.

I will post video when I can. The best part of the long-range aspect with the video's is that by the time the pellet has reached it's target enough time has gone by to allow the scope-mounted camera to settle down and get a clear shot of the impact! I have the mount, but not the camera at the moment.

Here's the squirrel machine! Reds are fair game year around where I live! Scope is 4.5X14X44AO.

P1000784.jpg

P1000785.jpg

P1000786.jpg

I have been laying waste to the rodents with my Remington 597 and the virtually silent Aguilla Super Colibri shells. They are very quite, but don't cycle the bolt. The 20gr bullet does the trick when you place the shot right in the brain...And yes, this little guy was trying to bury a peanut in my yard.
skheadshot.jpg

Tree Rats

Hunt in the morning when they're getting up, you can ambush them right out of the nest. If you go later, pick a spot and sit down, they'll come to you. A scoped .22 is perfect and head shoot only. Hunt before trees are leafed out or after leaves have fallen. Sent and camo make no difference as they can spot any movement. Once you have killed several move to another spot and begin again. They return to their nests for naps so you can set up another ambush. This is for Illinois rats only....I wouldn't know how to hunt them in Wisconsin Len.
db

Depends on the day, if I see squirrel running wild I take the 45-70 with 405 grainers around 800 fps. Does the job, and drops just like a 22 out to 100 yards.

If I see a lone squirrel around the house (I have a 500ish yard field right out my front door) I grab the 6mm Ackley if it's very far, and if not the single shot 22 with CB Shorts.

Oh yeah, I prefer offhand if the range is 50 or closer. If I'm waiting for a squirrel to get in a good spot I'll just sit with my back to a tree, I can get real steady that way and still see over the thorn bushes that are everywhere.

i just take my 17hmr and sit in a deer stand that i don't plan on hunting that evening. and go to work. our longest feeder (that i shoot at) is 110yds. so i have it made.

Hey Len, Hunt Yet?

Haven't seen the results of your hunt yet Len. How did it go? Did you use any of our expert advice? Was it a bust?
db

db and others, thanks. I only went out for squirrels once after I started this thread. But next year I will be starting to hunt already in fall...unlike this year. We had so much snow on the ground this Jan/Feb that it was a bit of a job to get around.

Great ideas!

With all these good ideas I wish someone would write an article...with pictures.

Email me if interested.

You don't need no stinkin gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just go to the park with a bag of peanuts or pecans and a big stick and sack. Lure them in with the nuts, hit em with the stick, put em in the bag!:):):D

Rem 597, tweaked a bit.

bedded into a boyds lam stock, lighter trigger by way of a new hammer. Exact edge extractor. 4-12X40AO Leuy. .5at50yrd groups with minimags. I got a good barrel.

Longest head shot, 91 yards. I use whatever rest I can find. Trees, knees stumps etc. Most shots are from a seated position with the occasional standing with a sapling for a rest. If I see five, I bring home five. Weather play a huge factor, if it is windy stay home, hard rain, stay home. If it is quiet, cool and overcast. Hit the woods they will be moving. Squirrels are much smarter than people give them credit for. The ones in the wild woods are nothing like the ones in your backyard.

597halfatfifty.jpg