How do you guys figure out the range at 1400+ yards?

Newcon optics in Canada makes lazer range finders that will determin the range whey past what a rifle will shoot . They make a 3000 meter modle that I would like to have and some that go out to 20 kilomiters if I remember right. their on the internet.

You should probably do some research on their products, to get some peoples opinions first.

I second taking a look at the Vectronix terrapin, i ordered one earlier this year and got it for somewhere around $1,800 with their shot show discount......if I add this to the $999 I spent on my swaro and the $450 or so on a Leupold IV, ples the coulple hundred on my first nikon I am getting close to the range of the PLRF-10 :)....the only beneficiary is my son, he inherits all of my leftovers.

I used a PLRF-10 that a client had last fall and it was easy to get repetable ranges at over 2400yds.....

I have found the terrapin to be very reliable also, the only drawback is the magnification is a little weak but it works as advertised.

To range things at extream ranges requires a more powerful range finder. Newcon optics of canada makes every flavor of lazer rangefinder you can think of 3000 meter 4000 meter all the way out to 21,000 meter, but the 21,000 range finder is extreamly expencive $29,000.00 the smaller versions are a couple thousand, and in my opionyon worth the money. Another way is to subtend a known demention, the for example the avrage man is 20 inches from sholder to sholder if the redical in your scope is setup in minutes of angle you look and see how many minuts that 20 inchet takes up if it only takes up 2 minuts; 20devided by 2 = 10 x 100=1000 yards if your redical is in mildots 1 mil = 3.5 minutes or 1 meter at 1000 meters. The lazer range finder is quicker and easyer to use but if your scope has a moa or mildot you should do it both ways to double check and sharpe your skill at dementioning the range.
The biggest problem at long range is the wind, you should also get a good wind meater and use it all the time ,even when not shooting to become familyar with the wind and know its value, and how many minuts its worth at a given distance, pratice alot. other wise knowing the range is usless.

I would like a vector 21 type then its all done in one. Models? Models?

See on snipershide sometimes. Hard to find, gone before chance. Why don't I just fly over and pic one up. Customs? 3 levels, ACI, Slope doper, angle in "cheap ranger", sold the Leica, Windtronic 2 is nice don't have to rotate like Kestrel but no RH. Can get BP from GPS. Temp wherever. G7 LRBC - what's the best?

You know what -- who makes a non-flammable smoke grenade that I can throw into the valley between the 2 ridges? Wouldn't that be cool? Arent you far enough away they won't care anyways. Heck with it all breaked up just take a shot into the valley below. They don't care about car doors slamming that far away anyways. Shoot just strap your bullet to your chest. Then everything is all warmed up including you! Oh ya and practice is the best practice. A man needs to never forget that.

Last edited:
Im not being a smart *** either. Think about it. Those little p-dogs that are far away don't care about the bang. They care about the zingggg past their head. If you can "see" the wind you can shoot it better. Who makes a good smoke grenade? No BS.

Do you know how to read the mirage, if not buy a good wind meter and carrie it with you every where. Look at the mirage read the meter, and keep doing it until you know how to tell what the wind speed is by the way the mirage is running. when you can do that the rest is easy. Also at the range see how much drift you get at a given wind speed. After a while you will be able to shoot accurately in a cross wind. Thats what keeps it interesting.

Do you know how to read the mirage, if not buy a good wind meter and carrie it with you every where. Look at the mirage read the meter, and keep doing it until you know how to tell what the wind speed is by the way the mirage is running. when you can do that the rest is easy.

Ah, mirage will vary at different distances. Mirage at the target will seldome match the wind at the rifle. Going off focus at the target to read mirage at that distance is easiest with a scope or spotter. Not the naked eye. Are you gving advice for 1000 plus yards?

This is the extreme long range forum, past 1000 yards, might want to read the criteria of this forum.

Thanks.

Jeff

Sorry I assumed you would use a scope at any distance. However the mirage at the target really doesnt apply much. its the conditions between the target and the shooter,
and if your shooting prone the conditions up close to the shooter dont matter much either
because the wind doesnd blow as hard at ground level as it does at higher elevations so usally its the mid range where the bullet is at its highest elevation that you want to check
the mirage. you also need to know the wind direction to know if its 100% cross or some divison of that. PS just because I dont have a place in Il. to shoot at 1000 + yards does not mean I have no 1000 yard experience I use to shoot at range-22 at fort Lewis in washington state I do have some experience. Shooting is what I live for its fun and interesting. Lets keep fun O.K.

Well ok.. Roll on my friend. I do not wish to debate this with as you have it figured out in your mind. So lets just leave it at that. But your methods are alot different than mine.:)

Jeff

Sorry I assumed you would use a scope at any distance. However the mirage at the target really doesnt apply much. its the conditions between the target and the shooter,
and if your shooting prone the conditions up close to the shooter dont matter much either
because the wind doesnd blow as hard at ground level as it does at higher elevations so usally its the mid range where the bullet is at its highest elevation that you want to check
the mirage. you also need to know the wind direction to know if its 100% cross or some divison of that. PS just because I dont have a place in Il. to shoot at 1000 + yards does not mean I have no 1000 yard experience I use to shoot at range-22 at fort Lewis in washington state I do have some experience. Shooting is what I live for its fun and interesting. Lets keep fun O.K.

Wow.... This is different. "If your shooting prone the conditions up close to the shooter dont matter much either " In my humble opinion all conditions should be taken into account . To get the best results possible . Now Im a newbie at this but Broz ah if you stay around you'll see he has some very sound advicegun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.