How do you guys figure out the range at 1400+ yards?

Lancet

I had a thread similar to this, but I'm gonna ask again. Not very many range finders are capable of much past 1000, the one I have out to 1200. What I want to know is how do you find out the range of a target that might be at say 1800 yards, or somewhere in that gap a rangefinder isn't quite capable of. Thans for your input

There are plenty of RF's that will go to 2000 yards and beyond. But they are twice the price plus of the most commonly used units.

Vectronics is a good choice.

If you want to stretch your current model out try screwing a couple license plates to the target side by side. Then you can also cut the distance in 1/2 and do the ranging in two steps then add the distances.

Jeff

1400 is a chipshoot for the Bushnell Fusion's so I haven't had a problem, but 1200 used to be the max I could hit with the Elite 1500 ARC, and so when we would set up a KD series of shots, we would do the "both ways" method.

Get in between, and lase the target one way, and the truck the other way and add em together. It's not 100% accurate, depending on the line of sight...but you can factor that in as well using the angle each way and some 5rd grade math. It's usually not as far off as you might imagine.

Another way is to plug in your spots on Google Earth or even GPS them on Google Maps from your phone. That gives surprisingly accurate estimations, usually within 25 yds +/-
(I haven't noticed to much issues at 12-1400, but when you get out beyond a mile...+/-25 isn't good enough)

Broz is right.

PLRF-10... but its a touch spendy.. the PLRF-5 can get it done, but the 10 has a smaller beam.

JeffVN

there are excellant rangefinders other than the lazers.
prior to lazers becoming popular which has been fairly recent the surplus military coincidence type rangefinders was about all there was.
certainly for hunters who move about alot the lazers have been a wonderfull thing due to size.
but as stated not all are capable of the longer distances. some including my
swarovski arent always reliable at any distance under certain conditions.
thats especially so beyond 1000 yds.
ive owned a barr&stroud military rangefinder for about 40 years.
several others in our pa. camp have them also as do many others i know.
i more recently also aquired a swiss WILD unit which is about identical in most respects to the barr&stroud. that unit was made in the 70s and is better opticly than the barr&stroud. that unit measures to 10.000 meters whereas my barr&stroud measures to 20.000 yds. some of those measure in meters also.
both can be calibrated for accuracy on the spot if necessary.
i check mine at a known distance every couple years.
these are tripod mounted units that are about 3' wide, and weigh about 10 pounds. they work every time so long as the target is visable.
for those who hunt from a stationary location or those who are rock
shooting at extreme distance these units would be an excellant option.
over the years weve taken ours to remote spots and made range notes
by ranging various permanant objects. that way we dont need a rangefinder
on future visits to those spots. otherwise we set one up as soon as we arrive
at a location.
prices of these units have dropped somewhat due to the popularity of lazers.
expect to pay from 300 to about 500 dollars for one.
they occaisionly show up on ebay. be carefull of german units as not all are
usable for this type use.

1400 is a chipshoot for the Bushnell Fusion's so I haven't had a problem

+1

The beam divergence may not be as tight as the Vectronix or G2 units, but I've had no trouble getting first-round hits with the Fusion out to about 1200 yards. Despite the beam, the Fusion uses technology that singles out certain targets within the beam coverage, which mitigates the error of the large divergence. Mine gives very repeatable readings out to over 1800 yards.

The Fusion is a great option for the guy who is looking for an economical solution to the 1500+ yard game.

Broz is right.

PLRF-10... but its a touch spendy.. the PLRF-5 can get it done, but the 10 has a smaller beam.

JeffVN

How spendy is spendy? Last time i checked they did not have prices on their web site, and I didn't want to have a (sticker) shock induced heart attack while talking to one of their people on the phone.

How spendy is spendy? Last time i checked they did not have prices on their web site, and I didn't want to have a (sticker) shock induced heart attack while talking to one of their people on the phone.

They actually came down a little. Last I knew they were right around $3700. Definatly not for everyone, but I have yet to hear of any buyers remorse from any true long range shooter / hunter. Sure don't see many up for sale used. Thats not the case with other lower priced units. I just wish I had bought one first instead of going through about a dozen , Swaro, Leica, Newcon, Zeiss, Bushnel ect. But the expensive road I took did teach me what it takes to work for me and what will bring a smile instead of " this **** thing will not repeat" or " this **** won't give a reading" The memory of passing on that 200" WT buck due to a large beam grabbing everythin but the deer is still strong.

Jeff

PS: I would sure not over look the PLRF05 / Terripin for about $2000 either.

"spendy"

I got mine for $3,700.00 (roughly 12-18 months ago) (I was told that price was after discount for prior military service). The Terapin did not exist when I got my PLRF-10. If the price has come down to that number for everyone, I have no problem with that.

Jeffvn

Newcon optics in Canada makes lazer range finders that will determin the range whey past what a rifle will shoot . They make a 3000 meter modle that I would like to have and some that go out to 20 kilomiters if I remember right. their on the internet.

+1. Night Vision, Laser Range Finders, Thermal, Stabilized Imagers, Binoculars, Goggles, Monoculars, Night Vision Scopes by Newcon Optik I was going to mention these guys... Again, some of these can be "spendy". Webyshops had some of these listed for sale.

Personally though, my next rangefinder will the G7 BR2.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.