how do you correct for bullet drop

PvtMcCollam

Ok I have been interested in shooting long ranges for a while and have been building me a new rig. I have a remington sps long range rifle with a 26" barrel with a twist rate of 9 1/8" with a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 AO MC and a Bushnell XRS Elite tactical 4.5-30x50 scopes (cant make up my mind on what one to put on the rifle). I want to shoot at distances of 100-1,200 yards. I plan on zeroing at 200 yards. I have for to five different rounds that I have even reloaded looking for the most accurate. For teaching perposes can somebody show me how to adjust the dope on my scope from a 200 yard zero for a few different yards and different senarios with 180gr Honaday Superformance round. I know that the best thing is practice and thats exactly what I am gonna do, but i would like to know the math required to make a shot especially at 1,000 yards. Thanks a whole lot, and hopefully soon i will be out shooting those long ranges gun)

Look at the top of the page for the G7 Ballistics Calculator. That will be your best option. You will need to know Bullet weight, ballistic Coefficient, Muzzle velocity, Scope height, Altitude, Temp, humidity, Barometric Pressure. All of that will get you relatively close. You will have to go out and shoot to test your loads and drops.

Do you have a 'smart' phone? If so download/use the "Strelok" ballistic app. I have Strelok (free) and Shooter ($10) apps and I currently prefer Strelok. Some people prefer Shooter.

Shooter.

You can either use an in-field ballistics calculator like Shooter or a range card with yard ages and drops. There are many, many available online including the G7.

You will also need a wind meter, and over approximately 600 yards need to factor in additional things such as coriolis, spin drift, etc. Once you get to 600 and beyond it can be a whole different game.

Do you have a 'smart' phone? If so download/use the "Strelok" ballistic app. I have Strelok (free) and Shooter ($10) apps and I currently prefer Strelok. Some people prefer Shooter.

It's no longer free, there is a $4.99 version and a $7.99 pro version.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.