How do I widen the trigger well?

SouthTXBowhunter

I just installed a Jewell trigger into my Model 70 Coyote Lite 25 WSSM but the jewell trigger (with the little screws in the side plates) is too wide to fit into the trigger well in the stock. I'm wondering if I can just gently hand file (w/ a flat file) away the sides of the well (in the stock) until I have enough clearance on either side?

Is the a trick to doing that? Is there any problem if I were to file away slightly more than necessary? I mean, will a little extra space in the trigger well effect performance?

Sure could use some advice!

Nick

I just installed a Jewell trigger into my Model 70 Coyote Lite 25 WSSM but the jewell trigger (with the little screws in the side plates) is too wide to fit into the trigger well in the stock. I'm wondering if I can just gently hand file (w/ a flat file) away the sides of the well (in the stock) until I have enough clearance on either side?

Is the a trick to doing that? Is there any problem if I were to file away slightly more than necessary? I mean, will a little extra space in the trigger well effect performance?

Sure could use some advice!

Nick

Nick

Use a drimmel tool and remove about 1/16'' out of the left side of the trigger inlett to clear the
bolt release and safety linkage.

Be carefull not to let it skip out of the stock while cutting and try it often.

Lay a piece of carbon paper down in the trigger inletting with the carbon side out and
place the action with the trigger installed down in the stock and move it up and down
( this will show where the enterference is ).

Don't worry about removing a "little" to much just be carefull.

When your done and it will go in the stock hold it in place and look through the action
screw holes from the bottom of the stock and make sure that the holes are centered
in the stock.

Good luck
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.