How do I corn meal 22-250 to AI

I had Bullberry make me a .22-250 AI bull barrel a few years ago for my Encore and I dreaded the thought of having to spend $$$ and countless hours fireforming. So I just loaded them up with a "10% under max" load and went to the range. The groups came in at 3/8" at 100 yds. Consistantly. So this was my starting load for my first hunt with this caliber.

Just try a few regular loads and see what size groups you get. Might be good enough for hunting.

When I had my -250 rechambered to AI the chamber was cut to crush fit standard 22-250 rounds (I think how Akley intended it). With that I just chambered a standard 22-250 round, pulled the trigger, and viola, a 22-250AI case was ejected. Got some pretty good groups from those loads too...and a coyote, and a bunch of gophers...

That's why I like the AI chambering if you want a wildcat, fireforming is easy and you can save the cream-of-wheat for breakfast, cornmeal for fish and fast powders for pistols.

or use hornadys hydroforming dies

I hydro form my brass, prime with spent primer, fill with water, place in press, hit with hammer 3 times, tip water out, deprime, and there you have AI formed brass, no COW no firing....

Where do you get the hydro forming dies? I could not find them on their web site. Can you provide a link?

Thanks

Mike

you just phone

Hornady, talk to Lonnie Hummel, if he is back from his operation.... Im sure if he isnt there somebody can hook you up..... You send in 3 fired cases and 3 unfired cases and they make it custom for you...... I have a set in .22-250AI and have a set of .338 Lapua AI coming......

I used to COW, and there is NOT A HOPE I would bother again. Hydroforming all the way........gun)

I have ben COW forming cases for many years with no problems.
Something I learned recently is make bloody sure your cornmeal is perfectly DRY and do not point the barrel straight down.
I was fireforming some brass in the shop and had, as near as we can tell after the fact, the cornmeal plug the bore when pointed straight down to fire the cartridge.
I now and will forever have small bits of an MRC action in my thigh
Hydoform dies are on order now, and yes I do limp slightly now.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.