How do I check my barrel for proper free floating???

shortpants

I have always just slid a 3x5 index card between stock and barrel with cold barrel. It slides all the way up. How do I know that after a couple shots when the barrel heats up it does not make contact during the vibration or whip. I am going to check with a hot barrel next time but lets just say the card slides all the way up, how do I know there is no contact during the shot? Using factory stock by the way and I know it would be easier to put a after market on and glass bed it but that would still not answer this question. How do you know what happens during the shot?

I'm a bit more agressive with the measurement.

I use two business cards. If you notice the 'bumps' on the end of the Remmy's that's about the thickness that when removed should be necessary.

Hot barrel/Cold barrel measures will be almost, if not, identical.

bed it your self..use masking tape with two contact points on the barrel. This will free float the barrel, and create a stress free action.

P1000314-1.jpg

P1000315.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.