How critical is measuring powder to .01 grains

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by 10point, Mar 24, 2013.

1. 10point

10point Active Member

In the forum the accuracy nodes in a ladder test range between 1 to 2 grains With accuracy stable in that range. If that node is between 60 to 61 grains, and you decide to load 60.5 grains why is loading to .01 grains critical?

2. metalhead

metalhead Well-Known Member

Weighing powder to 1/10 is adequate for any application. You'd drive yourself insane trying to weigh to 1/100. With your example of the node being between 60 and 61 gr, some may load 60.1, 60.2, etc, as a tenth of a grain can make a difference at 1k yards. Hundredths? No.

3. 10point

10point Active Member

Thanks. That allows more time on brass prep and shooting.

4. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

Noob reloaders often get hung up on powder charge consistancy to meaningless degrees. I don't even know of a practical reloading scale that reads to .01 grain and it wouldn't matter if we could; there's usually more effective variation than .1 grain of powder between individual primers and cases.

5. Kevin Thomas

Kevin Thomas Well-Known Member

First, let's not forget that a grain isn't just a grain, nor is a tenth of a grain just a tenth of a grain; it's a percentage of the total charge weight. A tenth of a grain can be a fairly substantial amount of powder if you're loading a 25 ACP or even a 22 Hornet. It is absolutely insignificant if you're loading a 30/378 Weatherby. There, even a full grain of powder probably won't show nearly as much influence on pressures as that tenth would in the Hornet.

Match the percentage to the case being loaded, and you'll save yourself a lot of frustration down the road.

6. 10point

10point Active Member

Thanks I am loading 270wsm and 300rum. .1 of a grain should be sufficient

7. dragman

dragman Well-Known Member

.1 is fine with me, I don't worry about the .01 cuz the fluxuating differences in the atmosphere and other variables have much more affect than the .01 difference in powder. infact on my one gun I tested it took me .03 difference before I saw the affects on the Chrono.

8. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

So...what kind of scale did you use to obtain even a .03 gr resolution? Best any reloading scales I know of only claim .1 gr. accuracy! :cool:

9. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member

Am guessing he was confused. Some people think .01 = .1.

10. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

11. JackinSD

JackinSD Well-Known Member

12. Canadian Bushman

Canadian Bushman Well-Known Member

Id say the gempro has a resolution of .02 but actual accuracy is probably closer to .05 - .1 from a week to week standpoint.

13. dragman

dragman Well-Known Member

the load I speak of was 49.50 grains my point was I took it up 49.51, 49.52, 49.53 I didn't see a difference until I got 49.54 grains. There could be a host of reasons why I didn't see any speed movement until that point hense the point I don't worry about it any more.
    sorry for the confussion

14. BrentM

BrentM Well-Known Member

Wow, I would drive myself insane trying to chase down .01 differences. I thought it was bad enough chasing .1 changes. Usually when I test loads I go in full grain increments, then split to .5 grain. I hear BR guys are nut jobs like that. LOL