How Could We Improve the NEW A.T.A.C.R. From Nightforce

they're getting closer to my dream scope that's for sure.... I've been whining for a 30x,sfp,ed glass, moa/moa, with 150min travel....this is . step the right way, I think I better have one!

Tom

Looking at the market, G7 has a proprietary reticle and windage knob set up on a Nightforce optic, I think someone will step up in a given market and get a MOAR thin reticle put into a run of optics if our market can support it. If our market won't support it then we're at the mercy of NF to give us the option, in which case dropping a line to NF in support of a thinner reticle option may be the best tact we can take.

they're getting closer to my dream scope that's for sure.... I've been whining for a 30x,sfp,ed glass, moa/moa, with 150min travel....this is . step the right way, I think I better have one!
Tom

Tom, I find this interesting and have to ask. What is the chambering for a 150 moa of elevation? Also I did try a 8x32 NXS once. The limited 65 moa was not enough and on 32x the limited field of view and added mirage was bad on some days. That was why I went back to the 5.5x22. Somewhere between 22x and 32x there will be a sweet spot and the ED glass could have a play in here too.

Looking at the market, G7 has a proprietary reticle and windage knob set up on a Nightforce optic, I think someone will step up in a given market and get a MOAR thin reticle put into a run of optics if our market can support it. If our market won't support it then we're at the mercy of NF to give us the option, in which case dropping a line to NF in support of a thinner reticle option may be the best tact we can take.

The reasoning behind the thicker reticle I got from NF was requests from older shooters with fading eye sight. I think they said these requests came from out east where long shots in to tree limbs and brush were a factor. So the common thought of it being all tactical may not have been the entire reasoning. This also adds credit to your suggestion of a letter or e-mail to NF. They need to hear what we want and need.

Shawn stated the other day he had sold like 22 LRKM's. He also has numerous orders for canyon rifles and others. He is on the same page as I about the reticle thickness. This scope with a thin reticle has a need. 25 scopes at $2400 is $60,000.00 That is not to be ignored I would think.

Talking with Mark @ NF, and as I said he is an ELR shooter and wants a thinner reticle too, they do care about the ELR group. The BEAST was targeted for the tactical guys, that is obvious. So why release two scopes if one was not for us ELR shooters? I think we were indeed considered, like I said who the heck needs 120 moa of elevation to shoot below 1500 yards. I don't think the Rim Fire guys are there.... yet.

Jeff

Broz,

I have been running a 338 imp lap is all...just now tuning otm' s. got the latest one built to late and went right back to smk cuz I knew they made the transition for a fact. my accuracy load is right around 3013 with either 300, and I still want more travel....but I am maybe to demanding? I say 30x because I often crank down to 30 for br matches, and honestly it is enough. 100 moa is enough to get us out there, but I like to push things, especially on inanimate objects lol.

not a few years ago, the rf was holding back the rifles.. now, it's the scopes, but it's getting closer. I need to get back to playing with the elr stuff, been to consumed with the br crap.

Tom

Broz,

I have been running a 338 imp lap is all...just now tuning otm' s. got the latest one built to late and went right back to smk cuz I knew they made the transition for a fact. my accuracy load is right around 3013 with either 300, and I still want more travel....but I am maybe to demanding? I say 30x because I often crank down to 30 for br matches, and honestly it is enough. 100 moa is enough to get us out there, but I like to push things, especially on inanimate objects lol.

not a few years ago, the rf was holding back the rifles.. now, it's the scopes, but it's getting closer. I need to get back to playing with the elr stuff, been to consumed with the br crap.

Tom

Thanks for the reply, 3013 with the 300 Berger should be pretty darn potent.

I agree the scopes are now needing to play catch up. Good point.

Jeff

Jeff,

Cody and I want to get back to rodent exploding this spring.. maybe we can get over your way and do some rock busting too.

my old 338 on a wby mk 5 would give me grief once I got it up to 2980ish, this new one will take more than I should give it.

Tom

Currently a 5x22x56 NF with a NP R2. I would like that reticle in the ATACR.

Hey Broz, those 215s you got me hooked on need only 67 moa at 1871 yards at 19 above and 5000 feet altitude. At 1197 yards I use 1.75 less moa then an 208 amax at the same speed.

Jeff & Scott,
I just want to say that having 2 individuals with opposite points of view debating an issue in an honest and professional way is what makes forums such an asset in the education of the particular debate. I for one have learned a great deal from both of you from optics to archery gear. I want to thank both of you for your contribution to the rest of us. I've taken part in some of your FFP vs. SFP debates and have enjoyed learning. You'll never agree on that subject but the debate allows those of us trying to make up our own minds to make an educated decision while spend our hard earned money. Don't let a difference of opinion get in the way of the reason were all here in the first place.

In other words go have a beer together, fight kiss and make up and let's get back to talkin about LRH!

Signed,
Dr. Phil:D:D:D

Currently a 5x22x56 NF with a NP R2. I would like that reticle in the ATACR.

Hey Broz, those 215s you got me hooked on need only 67 moa at 1871 yards at 19 above and 5000 feet altitude. At 1197 yards I use 1.75 less moa then an 208 amax at the same speed.

The RP-R2 is the same thickness as the NP-R1 = .062 at 3000 yards the reticle would be covering 1.94" if my math is right..:)

The MOAR has a thickness of .140 So at 3000 yards .... 3000 x 1.047" = 3141 .... 1 moa is 31.41" @ 3000 yards. Multiply that x your .140 so 31.41" x .140 = 4.397"

Over twice as much across the board at any distance.

Glad you like the 215's, I sure do.

Jeff

Any word from Night Force when these scopes will hit the market. The timing for my new build might just work out like gangbusters

Any word from Night Force when these scopes will hit the market. The timing for my new build might just work out like gangbusters

No word for sure yet when I asked NF. But one distributer said 4 weeks. I think that was just a guess.

I did get the info that the ATACR should be ready before the BEAST.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.