How clear is "clear"

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Beelzebub, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

and how bright is "bright?

I've got an old Bushnell 10X40X50 target scope. It has 1/8 MOA clicks which I doubt is even remotely close to an 1/8th inch at 100 yards.

The scope seems really dark even at 10X compared to some of my other scopes set up as high as 18.

I doubt if I could zero at 100 and then "dial in" any distance at all consistently over 150.

But when I do get it zeroed, usually at about 300 I can hit remarkably well. At 1/4 of a mile I can see the bullet holes well enough to make scope adjustments.

If I could find a scope that can see bullet holes at 440, dial up or down and back with consistency, clear and bright I'd be tickled. I'm open to suggestions up to $500.

thanks in advance for any advice or constructive criticism.

Beelz

2. Beelzebub

Too technical a question I see. Oh well, it was a shot in the dark.

B

3. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

To me, if it looks all bright and crisp like a 1080p high-def TV, then I consider that to be clear.

4. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

The scope is good when you can clearly see grass hanging out of a elks mouth at 500 yards and 500 bucks probably won't buy that scope but I have not looked through every scope out there so could be wrong about the 500 bucks.

5. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

The scope is of the BEST QUALITY when you can see what TYPE of grass it is hanging out of that elks mouth!....:D..:D

But your dead right when you say $500 aint gonna buy that scope. $2500 MIGHT.

6. Beelzebub

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

I can see that with my naked eye from only 500. If I can make scope adjustments from 1/4 mile with a $100 Bushnell I would surely think a Leupold or the likes would be able to count the hairs on that elk's teeth at only 500. Guess we value $500 and the quality is should buy, differently. I have absolutely no use for a $1700-$2500 Night Force scope. I don't think that highly of myself or my gun to spend that kind of money on any toy of mine.

cheers,
    B